Wednesday 6 December 2023

He saw at the water's edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. – Luke 5:2

Today's Scripture Reading (December 6, 2023): Luke 5

His name was Richard Alexander Harris. I never met him, not really, and yet he has had a profound impact on my life. Richard was a poker player, and I like poker, but that isn't how I first became aware of his existence. As with many people, I met Richard Alexander Harris for the first time on the day that he showed up at church. I hadn't invited him to church, but he came anyway. And that is okay.

What is different about Richard is that he didn't come to church on a Sunday. He showed up at church in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. And he stayed all day, although I didn't even realize he was there. You see, Richard Alexander Harris showed up for church in the trunk of a car. I am not even sure that he was alive when he arrived. If he was, he died soon after, murdered, and placed in the trunk of his own car.

That Tuesday morning, I walked by Richard's car but didn't know he was there. That Tuesday morning, my wife placed a reminder that you needed a placard if you wanted to park in the church parking lot during the week. It was the only way we could control how many cars were in the lot and ensure parking spots for staff and visitors of the church. Richard didn't have a placard, but by then, he also didn't care.

People started to gather around Richard's car on Tuesday afternoon. They had been looking for him and couldn't find him. But eventually, they found his car in the church parking lot. They still couldn't find Richard. And then they decided to call him on the phone one more time. And when they called him, they heard his cellular phone ring from the trunk of his car. Finally, the police were called, and Crime Scene Investigation showed up. They roped off the church parking lot. It began to get dark, so they brought in bright lights to illuminate the parking lot as they prepared to open the car trunk. It happened to be a night when the Church Board was scheduled for their monthly meeting, so the board and staff of the church began to arrive, only to find out that they couldn't park in the parking lot.

Then, the interviews began. I talked to the police several times that night. I stayed late, long after the end of the board meeting, because Richard stayed late, and I had decided that I would not leave until Richard left. I hadn't been at the church when Richard arrived, but I wouldn't go home as long as he was still there. And so, I watched the police investigation from my office window.

Later, the media caught wind that something was going on and showed up and wanted to talk to people around the church. And there was one common question. Was he in or out? Was the man who ended his life in the trunk of a car in the church parking lot of the church part of us.

And I wasn't sure exactly how to answer the question. I mean, what exactly is the measure? What do you have to do to be in? Are you in because you have officially joined the church in membership? Is that what it takes? Or maybe if you attend, is that all it takes to be in? What about the people who are now faithfully attending the church on Facebook or who watch the services a little later on YouTube but have never physically stepped inside the building? Are they in or out? How many times do you have to attend? Or is it possible that showing up in the early morning hours of a Tuesday is enough to be in?

I think Jesus would have been okay with the last suggestion. After all, these fishermen, who were sitting there minding their own business and washing their nets, were in; they just didn't know it yet. He looked at them and knew they would play a massive role in his ministry. They would make a significant impact on the emerging church, even if they had yet to attend a church service.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: John 2

No comments:

Post a Comment