Friday 22 December 2023

Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. – Matthew 13:5

Today's Scripture Reading (December 22, 2023): Matthew 13

I live in an ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) world. In fact, I have often joked about my attention problems. I think our politicians understand this aspect of our society. Whether or not they are ADD themselves, they make the most of the fact that the prevailing culture struggles with short attention spans. So often, we seem to be consumed by the next shiny object long before the last thing that caught our attention runs its course. And when problems arise, the solution is easy. It is as if we have become a culture of magicians who misdirect our audiences' attention with sleight of hand so that we can achieve our goals, whatever they might be. We forget the problem in the magician's right hand as our minds chase the object in the magician's left hand.

Of course, in an ADD world, nothing lasts very long. Another shiny object is always ready to take the stage and grab our attention. Nothing has roots; everything resembles the seed that falls on rocky ground; nothing makes a lasting difference. In an ADD world, we like things to grow quickly and, then, just as quickly disappear as our attention wanders off, following the next thing.

My ADD world perfectly illustrates what Jesus was talking about when he spoke of the seed that falls on the rocky places. The seed did not die immediately. It did not lie dormant until some future time when the conditions might have been better. Instead, the seed grows quickly but has no root that can dig into the fertile ground and get the moisture needed to continue the growth process. The seed becomes just another shiny object that grabs our attention but then quickly fades away.

While I recognize that I live in an ADD world, I am convinced that my faith was never supposed to be the next shiny object. It is something that needs to have roots in my life. My faith and understanding of the world will shape how I handle the shiny objects vying for my attention. The roots of my faith will allow me to get at the moisture that feeds my love for those around me and will enable me to treat them with respect. The core of my faith demands this. Loving just at the moment and then watching that love shrivel up and die because it has no roots is not an appropriate Christian response to the world in which I live.

God demands more of me. Loving others during comfortable circumstances when our love makes sense is not enough. God requires more of me. Loving those who love me is not worthy of the faith that has taken root in my life. God demands more of me.

The shiny objects of our ADD world will come and go, but love and faith must not be one of those shiny objects. These things must take root inside of me even while shiny objects appear and then just as quickly disappear. If faith and love cannot find their roots and become permanent in our lives, then there will never be a solution for societal issues like racial injustice and poverty, and all of the other scars that mar this planet. And, I believe God demands more of me and us. 

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Mark 4

See Also Luke 8:6 and Mark 4:5

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment