Wednesday 13 December 2023

The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and now something greater than Jonah is here. – Luke 11:32

Today's Scripture Reading (December 13, 2023): Luke 11 

He came on a Sunday Morning. As soon as I saw him, I admit that I recognized him, and my spirit sank. The man was a literalist, and I must confess that literalists don't like me. But my problem with literalism is that they often focus themselves on the wrong problem, but they sound so reasonable.

The service ended, and I found this gentleman in a deep discussion with a couple of men from the church. I made contact with a few people before I prepared myself for the conversation with this man and those he had chosen to enlighten on this Sunday morning. And as I came within earshot, I discovered that they were talking about the sign of Jonah, although, amazingly, the situation had been reversed. The teaching for this meeting of the minds was that the church had the dates of crucifixion wrong. Concentrating on the idea that Jonah was in the belly of the whale for three days and three nights, Jesus should have been in the grave for the same amount of time; I mean, isn't that the point of the story?

I announced my presence by saying, "No, that is not the point of the story." However, the group quickly disregarded me as this gentleman continued counting the days. The man announced to his audience that the earliest that the ladies could have arrived at the empty tomb was Monday morning, but more likely, it was Tuesday.

After the man left, one of the men approached me and said, "You don't like him." I responded that this person often comes up with shaky theological arguments and then moves from church to church, spreading his shaky revelations. The biggest problem with this person's theory was that the women came to the tomb on Sunday because they couldn't come on the Sabbath. If Jesus hadn't risen on Sunday morning, the women would have still come on Sunday Morning; the only difference was that Jesus would have still been in the tomb. If the crucifixion had been earlier, the women would have come to the tomb earlier and not waited for the Sabbath to be over.

But more importantly, we just had a long-drawn-out conversation about the day Jesus rose from the dead when the story's point is about repentance. Jonah spent time inside the whale, but after that experience, Jonah preached God's message in Nineveh, and Nineveh believed. Jesus preached a message of life, and the people rejected him. And because of that rejection, the people of Nineveh would rise once again to condemn the people for their disbelief.

After all, Jonah was a flawed prophet. Jesus was the one who was prophesied to come and save his people. And yet, we rejected him, and even the people of Nineveh would know that that was wrong.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 8

No comments:

Post a Comment