Saturday 30 December 2023

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. – Matthew 10:28

Today's Scripture Reading (December 30, 2023): Matthew 10

I admit that I don't speak much about hell. To be blunt, I don't think hell is a central part of the Christian message, although I also know that others disagree with me. I believe that the central belief that we need to be teaching is that we serve a God of love and grace. However, the Bible does teach about hell. And so, let me take a few moments and reveal what I believe about hell. But let me stress that you don't have to agree with me. There is room for disagreement in our conversation about Hell. So, with grace in your heart, let me answer some questions that I have been asked about the Hell of the Bible.

Is Hell real? Yes, I believe it is. There is enough of a story and content to make me believe in the reality of Hell. I believe that Sheol and Hades exist as a transitioning point that I really don't understand, and I don't think the Bible helps us out there. But Sheol and Hades exist in some form. I do not believe that Tartarus exists (In Greek mythology, Tartarus is a deep abyss used as a dungeon of torment and suffering for the wicked), even though Peter mentions it in 2 Peter. I think he is trying to illustrate a point about False Teachers, and he uses the Greek idea of Tartarus to make his point. I believe that Gehenna is also an illustration of the real spiritual hell, or maybe Gehenna is the lake of fire mentioned in Revelation.

Is the Bible literal when it comes to hell? No, I don't think so. I have heard the argument that you have to take hell literally or the Bible is worthless, but I disagree. There is much in the Bible that is symbolic. The Bible is made up of many genres of writing, and it uses many tools to get the message across, and those tools include stories and illustrations. Gehenna is an excellent example of an illustration. Gehenna existed just outside of Jerusalem, and it made sense that Matthew would especially use it as an illustration. But it is just an illustration, although it is a pervasive one. An argument that the Bible must be literal plays into the hands of those who want to tear the Bible apart, so it is not necessarily a card that we want to play, and to me, it doesn't make sense because that is not how we communicate. I believe Hell exists, but we have no idea what it will be like, except to say that I would not want to condemn anyone to that eventuality.

Is Hell made of fire? There is a story about a young girl acting out in class. At her wit's end, her teacher decides to educate the young girl on the trial of Hell (something that I don't approve of, just in case someone is wondering). But the girl's behavior does not change. Finally, the teacher asks the child if she is afraid of being sent to hell for her behavior, and the girl shrugs her shoulders and answers, "Not especially; my Dad sells air conditioners." Okay, it is an old and not especially politically correct story, but I am not sure that air conditioners will help. No, I do not think that hell is fire. Fire is an excellent example of destruction. A few years ago, I wrote a blog post on Job 31:12 (It is a fire that burns to destruction; it would have uprooted my harvest). Here is part of what I wrote.

One more note about hell. Job's comment about the fire of Abaddon or Destruction or Hell indicates how long this association between fire and hell has existed. But we need to be careful not to think that Hell is literally fire. I do not believe that this is true, and Job's comment here seems to support the idea that hell is made up of a figurative fire, not a literal one. For Job, it is not that Hell is literally going to burn his life and uproot his crops. But fire has long been seen as a force of complete destruction. Just like some had chosen to destroy their lives with an affair, so hell is like that, a place where we choose to be, and yet a place where we can only be destroyed.  And the fact that we freely choose destruction only makes hell an even sadder and scarier place. (Garry Mullen – June 20, 2018).

What is Hell like? I don't know. Traditionally, I would have said that Hell was a place where God was not. We cannot imagine the evil of a place that is a direct result of the absence of God. Even in the valley of Hinnom, with the people sacrificing their children to this false god, God was still there. I believe that he was holding the children, that his tears bathed the valley as we disobeyed him and committed this unthinkable evil. Even in the worst moments of World War II, in the gas chambers and the mass graves, God was there holding and weeping over his children. In the worst moments of your life, God is with you. We need to reclaim the phrase "Goodbye" as Christians. Too often, the sentiment is that "We don't say goodbye, we say see you later. Goodbye is too final." But the origin of the word goodbye is "God be with ye." Why would we ever let someone leave our presence without saying "Goodbye" or "God be with you." If Hell is a place where God is not, I don't think that we can imagine the horrors that such a place would hold.

But Hell is still not our primary focus. Let me close with this thought from 2 Peter. "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9). Our truth is that God is waiting for us to come to repentance. And if we do, then Hell is unimportant in our lives.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Mark 6

No comments:

Post a Comment