Saturday 9 May 2015

That is why I am terrified before him; when I think of all this, I fear him. – Job 23:15


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 9, 2015): Job 23

Could you imagine being summoned to the Oval Office at the White House? No reason given, just a notice that an appointment has been made and that you will appear before the President at this specific time. So you get on a plane and fly to Washington, D.C., maybe get a hotel room (I know I would need more than just the airport restroom for me to get ready for this meeting.) The day and the time arrives. You make your way to the White House. You go through security and are ushered from room to room. This is unfamiliar territory. Finally you are brought to the Office of the President. You walk through one of the two doors in the office without frames (never sure I understood why.) Maybe the president is not there and you are instructed to sit for a moment on one of the couches in the center of the room. A bowl of apples sits in front of you, but I can’t imagine daring to eat one of them, no matter how hungry you might be.

The president hurries into the room. What do you do? How do you feel in this moment? You stand, but do you extend your hand to the President? Or maybe just stand there and wait hoping that the President will make the appropriate move toward you?

Even just writing this description makes my stomach feels a little queasy. The experience would be overwhelming. Not many people are ever get to visit that office. And there would have to be more than a little fear in the experience. It is not that there is something wrong with the President (as I write this Barak Obama is finishing his second term as President of the United States.) I can almost see his smile, hear his words of welcome and explanation for why I have been summoned to this place. And I can feel my fear. This is a man of great power. To not fear him in many ways would be to disrespect him. The President of the United, no matter who occupies the office, deserves my respect.

The same goes for any World Leader. If I was summoned to the office of Vladimir Putin in Russia, or Hassan Rouhani in Iran, they would deserve the same respect that I would give to Barak Obama. And they would deserve my fear. I may not agree with their political agenda, or their religious positions, but I would still respect and fear them.

So it should not be surprising that Job fears God. Job recognizes that he is not God, and that all that has happened around him is because of God. Only a fool would refuse to fear him. The writer of Proverbs declares that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 9:10). It is not because Job disagrees with God, although there is no doubt that he would rather have not gone through all that he was going through. But who could not fear the one with enough power to accomplish all that had happened in Job’s life. Job understood that God was a being of power, and therefore he deserved his fear and his respect.

We are foolish when we lose sight of that. I understand that God is our friend. He is the lover of our souls. But he is also the one in control. And to forget that dishonors his name. And so we come to him with respect – and with fear. It can be no other way.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Job 24

No comments:

Post a Comment