Tuesday 12 May 2015

All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils … - Job 27:3


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 12, 2015): Job 27

“There is no reason why anyone who reads these words should die.” I have read these words several times over the last few decades. The words have lied. Since I started to notice the statement in various publications I know that a number of people have read the words and they have also died. It is not that there was supposed to be something magical about the words themselves. The idea that seems to float around our culture is that medical science is quickly arriving at the point where we can cure anything. Every disease is being defeated. How much longer can our defeat at the hands of simple aging continue?

And while it might appear that the sentiment of immortality is true, there is also the reality that some diseases are proving tough to beat – and there are new infections and diseases that are beginning to cause us problems. The defeat of death seems to be a long way off. The reality is that even something as simple as feeding the population of the earth seems to be beyond what we can achieve. People are dying. Even as I write these words, a colleague is dying from cancer – a problem to which we still have not found an answer.

We are not immortal – maybe we were never meant to be. We live and we serve at the pleasure of the God of this earth. Any immortality that we might possess is only due to the connection we have with God. And this is what Job seems to be affirming. He is alive, he is breathing only because the God of the Universe is allowing him to breathe. It was God who breathed breath into him in the first place.

But Job is actually say more than just that. The comment is that he is being true to the Spirit of God which resides in him. His breath is a connection with God, and the very words that come from his mouth are spoken in an effort to be true to his God. Job is not sure what Spirit brushed by Eliphaz’s face (Job 4:15) but the one that proceeds from his mouth is the spirit that God himself had placed inside of him. And his only desire was to be true to that God.

I mourn death. It doesn’t really matter who it is that dies, I seem to feel it deeply. Maybe it is simply this image of mortality that I possess within body. I am a bit of a morbid voyeur. Even as I look through history the question that often surfaces at some point in my study is a wonder over how the person died. Was it a good death, or was it an empty, silly one. And, because of the presence of God, I look forward to the day when death itself will be defeated. But I know that that can only be a reality because of God. There will be no magic pill that will stop us from dying. Life and death continue to be, and always will be, in the hands of the God that we serve. He reserves that power to himself. And until the day that he decides to end the reign of death, I will continue to cherish my own mortality, and hopefully like Job, look toward the one who holds the keys over death itself.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Job 28

No comments:

Post a Comment