Saturday 30 May 2015

… that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ – Genesis 14:23


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 30, 2015): Genesis 14

The day that I bought my first house, the joke was that at last I had joined the class of the landowners – well, me and the bank. Back on the day I bought the house, I figured that the part I owned was probably just the workbench in the garage – the rest the bank owned. So I was proud of my workbench. Years have passed since that day, but the joke is no less true, except that today I own more of the house. But my house continues to be owned by me – and the bank who has lent me the money to buy it.

But what we sometimes miss is that, while it seems to be hard to make it through life without owing somebody, who we owe matters. And it goes beyond just the interest rate. Who you owe, at least to some extent, gets to call some of the shots over your life. Enter the conspiracy theorists. There is no such thing as a payment that is made without any strings attached. Everyone who gives you money wants something from you. And the only question is this – are you comfortable with where that might take you. Corporations have demanded that employees cover up illegal activities because payments have been made. Friends and family demand favors for the money that you owe them. We have been bought and paid for – the only question that we have to answer is, who is it that owns us?

Abram storms off to rescue his nephew Lot, and in completing his task he did a favor for the King of Sodom and the kings who were aligned with him. Some have wondered about the generosity that the King of Sodom seems to display toward Abraham. But then again, what use is it to be king if someone has carried all of your subjects away into captivity. The bottom line is that the king of Sodom needed his people more than he needed the plunder that had been stolen away from him in the war.

What the King of Sodom was willing to part with would have made Abram rich – or at least richer. But Abram wasn’t comfortable with who it was that he would end up owing. Even at this point, Abram seemed to know that there was something wrong in the valley of Sodom and Gomorrah - and it was something with which Abram needed to remain unconnected.

Besides, Abram knew that everything he had could only come from his God, a commitment that he would not turn his back on – no matter how much the king of Sodom was willing to offer to give to him.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 15

No comments:

Post a Comment