Sunday 31 May 2015

As the sun was setting, Abram fell into a deep sleep, and a thick and dreadful darkness came over him. – Genesis 15:12

Today’s Scripture Reading (May 31, 2015): Genesis 15

I have to admit that sometimes I think that Charlie Brown understands life better than most of us. How many of us haven’t been Charlie, trying desperately to kick the football only to have it pulled out before our feet can actually reach the ball? How many of us can say that we haven’t fallen flat on our back and been embarrassed in front of our friends? How many of us can honestly say that we have never gotten up in the morning ready to embrace Charlie’s new found philosophy – to only dread one day at a time. Sometimes there seems to be a lot in this life that deserves our dread. While the boogie man may not be hiding around every corner, doesn’t it at least sometimes seem that he is hiding around most - scary doctor’s results, disappointing relationships, what seems to us to be massive personal failure? I am not sure that I know anyone who is immune to any of these things. They are part of life – to be honest, the scary part of life.
There has been a lot of writing over the past few decades about the detrimental effects of fear. Ulcers, high blood pressure and heart disease are all linked to an unhealthy level of fear in our lives. Some researchers seem to believe that even Cancer can be enhanced by a high level of fear. And sometimes all it takes is just the memory of a scary moment to send our bodies reeling. Fear can also be debilitating. It is the “deer in the headlights” phenomenon. We know we need to move, but we can’t. And, sometimes, I wonder if that might be the exact place where Charlie Brown lives. Dread and fear has overcome him until he can no longer even move.
But what we sometimes miss is that fear is not simply a negative emotion that needs to be excised from our lives. Charlie Brown’s daily dread needs to be dealt with, but occasional fear has an upside. Fear focusses our attention like nothing else can. The reason why last minute solutions are often found has a large part to do with this focussing effect of fear. Fear tells us that there is a hierarchy of things that need to be dealt with in our lives – and numbers 2 – 10,000 don’t really matter in this moment. This moment needs to be dedicated to number 1.
Have you noticed that every time an angel appears in the Bible, the first words out of his mouth are “Do not be afraid?” Because the natural thing to be when an angel shows up in your office is afraid. But for that moment you are focussed on whatever the angel has to say. Abram falls asleep, but he apparently also falls into a “thick and dreadful darkness.” The first time I read those words, I admit that I found them a bit strange – what exactly is a “thick and dreadful darkness?” But I think I know the answer. The darkness is the attention grabbing strategy of God. It is the “do not be afraid” moment because everything in your body is telling you that this is the moment to be afraid. It is God saying, “I need you to listen to me in this moment – to focus on me. If I talk to you on a sunny afternoon you will be too enamored with the sounds of my creation to listen to me. But right now it is my voice that you need to hear. And my voice is all you need to hear.
Maybe the next time we fall into a “thick and dreadful” darkness, we need to learn to step back and listen for the voice of God. He might just be choosing that moment of focus to speak to us.
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 16

No comments:

Post a Comment