Friday 15 March 2013

The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever—do not abandon the works of your hands. – Psalm 138:8


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 15, 2013): Psalm 138

One of the phrases that young lovers seem to use is the idea that the other person “completes” them. The idea is that they were incomplete before the relationship began, but like two puzzle pieces the couple fits together, when they combine they tell more of the story. And there is a level where I can say that I understand that. I know that my wife has very different gifting than I have – that together we tell a more complete story. But there is a level where I hope that all of my relationships are that way. The friends that I have gathered around me are very different from me – and that is partially why the relationship works.

But I am not sure that just because I have gathered people around me that they in any way complete me. I actually rebel against that thought. I am complete all by myself, and it is that sense of completeness that brings value into my relationship with my wife and with my relationships with my friends. Too often we enter into relationships wanted to be completed by the other, but instead of completion we develop an unhealthy level of co-dependence with them. And that in turn leads us into some very unhealthy decisions.

David writes in this passage that because God loves him, he will vindicate him. The word used in the passage –gamar- is a little elusive. Other translations have interpreted the word with the idea of “fulfilling the purpose that God has placed inside of me.” But in the context a better interpretation of the word might be that “God completes me” or “God brings completion to me.”  Our reality is that other people – no matter how much we may desire to be romantically linked to them – can never complete, because they in themselves are not complete. That task lies only with God. He is the one that brings real completion to our lives.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 139

No comments:

Post a Comment