Sunday 3 March 2013

From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. – Psalm 61:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 3, 2013): Psalm 61

I am a bit of a home body. In fact, there is no place I would rather be than home. I think my fantasy might be being able to travel around the world without leaving the comforts and confines of my house. There are a lot of things that I would love to see – and a lot of places that I would love to go – if I could just take the familiar things with me. And I do not think that I am alone. That one simple idea might be the reason why I see so many motor homes on the road everywhere I go – they give to us the privilege of going out and seeing the world – and seeking adventure - without ever leaving home.

David says he call out to God “from the ends of the earth.” But for a Jew that phrase simply could mean anywhere away from Israel. For David, anyplace on the other side of the Jordan River would have been the ends of the earth – it was simply away from home. And when David found himself away from home, he was in anguish. The reality was that as long as David was separated from his home territory he also felt separated from his God. And in a few generations David’s feeling of anguish and separation would be shared by the entire nation of Israel as they are forced into exile in Babylon - in those days a new generation would feel the truth in David’s words - then it would seem that the entire nation was being carried “to the ends of the earth.”

So David, clutched in the anguish of being sick away from home, cries out to God for the rock that was too high for him to climb in his own strength. For ancient Israel, that Rock was a symbol of the love and the protection of God; it was the image of security, serenity, and safety that David and a nation found in the simple act of belief in the one true God.

For Christian Church, our Rock that is higher than we can climb is Jesus. It is in him that we find the security that we need in the world in which we have to live.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 62

No comments:

Post a Comment