Monday 11 March 2013

Praise the LORD, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. – Psalm 103:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 11, 2013): Psalm 103

There is a soundtrack to my life. I am not sure if everybody’s life is like that, but there are songs that take me back to a particular period in my life. And sometimes, when I am confronted with an idea or a circumstance, it is a song that comes rushing back to me. So, whenever I read Psalm 103 it is an old Andrae Crouch song that I start to sing. I think the reason is that I grew up in what we would call a traditional church. I have always been wired towards music (I grew up in a very musical family) and so my favorite part of the church service was the singing of the songs. But the music in my church was old. And so I liked some it and tolerated other parts of it (but all of the music trumped the sermon.) In the hymnal that we used, there were a few newer pieces (and newer is a relative word) and a couple of those songs were written by Andrae Crouch. So it was a great day when the worship music included one of those songs. One of the newer Crouch songs was called “Bless the Lord” and it quotes Psalm 103:1 in the King James Version language – “Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.”

But bless is kind of a weird word (the NIV’s “praise” is a bit easier to understand) when it comes to our response to God. When God blesses us, he adds something substantial to our lives. But that is not what happens when we bless God. When God receives our blessing, there is nothing that is added to God. All that our blessing does is recognize the absolute richness that is available in God. Our blessing of God recognizes the incredible wealth that exists in the person of God. David writes that his praise arises from the deepest part of his soul – we might call it the core of his being. What that meant was that no matter what was happening in the external parts of his life and whatever was being said about God, deep down David knew exactly who God was. And when we are able to bless or praise God from the deepest parts of our lives, there is a confidence that exudes out of us automatically.

Perry Noble (Newspring Church) makes this observation, sometimes Christians just look mad. They are judgmental and critical in nature – and none of them looking like they are having any fun. In fact, sometimes it seems that they walk out of church grouchier than they were when they went in. And he is absolutely right – but I would assert that no Christian that lives a life like that (and I have to admit that there are a lot of them) has learned to praise or bless God from the inmost part of his being. Recognizing who God is would seem to preclude the idea of a grouchy Christian.

More recently, Matt Redman has written a song that is also based on Psalm 103. He calls his song “10,000 Reasons” and he says the song is the biggest understatement of life. When we understand how great and good that God is – how can we not praise him? And there are many more reasons than just the 10,000 mentioned in the song. And Matt is right. When we understand God in the core of our being – praise becomes our automatic response and a naturally critical group of people are filled with an unspeakable joy. It is the natural response that comes from blessing God in the deepest part of your soul.     

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 108

Personal Note: Happy Birthday to my Dad – who I know loves both Andrae Crouch’s “Bless the Lord” and Matt Redman’s “10,000 Reasons.” I hope you have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment