Tuesday 19 March 2013

Reach down your hand from on high; deliver me and rescue me from the mighty waters, from the hands of foreigners. – Psalm 144:7


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 19, 2013): Psalm 144

I have had a couple of instances in my life where I almost drowned. Now, having said that, I also have to admit my close calls were not because I cannot swim - I am not a stranger to the water. I can swim and, although I will not win any races, I am fully capable of keeping my head above the waves. But both times that I came close to drowning, something unexpected had happened. And in both cases the only reason why drowning did not occur was because someone was there to give me their hand and get me to safety.

In one of these instances I had to be taken a local hospital. I had inhaled enough water that my lungs were bruised and my body was no longer processing the oxygen that it needed to survive. And it was in the intensive care ward of the hospital that I heard the stories of those that were not as lucky as I was. This hospital in a resort town saw so many near drowning victims that it had become the authority in dealing with these kinds of situations. This is where the experts had come to practice medicine strictly because of the number of water accidents that this hospital was responsible for in the course of a year. Water was both the reason why people came to this town, and the most dangerous thing about the town.

People drown because they are unprepared for the water, but that is not the only reason why the water is dangerous. (In both of my situations I was prepared for the water – I could swim and I was wearing a properly fitting life jacket.) Sometimes people die in the water because the water is, by its own nature, unpredictable. In the bible, water is used to symbolize chaos – it illustrates the unpredictable nature of this world.

David prays that God will deliver him from the chaos of life. That it will be his hand that reaches down into his life and pulls him out. But for me, this verse also has a bit of tension. It contains this idea that David is existing in chaos and needs to be delivered, but also that the ones that are creating the chaos around him are foreigners – or more literally foreign or strange children. So David needs to be delivered, but the ones that he needs to be delivered from are themselves vulnerable – they are children. One thing that I understand about children is that often they act without understanding – they bring chaos into the places where they have influence, And this creates a tension.

In my life, this I know – I stand in the same place as David. I have a need to be delivered from the chaos of this world – I need a hand that will reach down and touch me. But I also know that the ones creating the chaos stand in need of that same hand. And maybe as God reaches out to drag me out of the chaos, it is my job to reach and grab hold of the strange children around me that are the creators of the chaos.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 145

No comments:

Post a Comment