Friday 24 November 2023

Because of you I will rebuke your descendants[; I will smear on your faces the dung from your festival sacrifices, and you will be carried off with it. – Malachi 2:3

Today's Scripture Reading (November 24, 2023): Malachi 2

As a kid, I remember occasionally driving by the city stockyards of my hometown. Stockyards were traditionally built by railroad tracks and were places for livestock purchase, selling, slaughtering, and transportation. Because of its purpose, it is a place that casts its very own unique aroma over the surrounding area. And to be blunt, even if I wasn't watching where my Dad might be driving, that aroma alerted me to where we were. 

I assume they were on the edge of town when the stockyards were built. Still, by the time I became aware of them, they were part of the downtown industrial complex, sharing the area with a Brewery and a few other warehouses and factories. The city had grown around the stockyards. At some point, there must have been a public outcry against having the smelly stockyards so close to the center of the city, and so the stockyards closed, with those in control of the stockyards choosing to move them about a half hour outside the city limits.

God is speaking to the priests of the Temple, and he is not happy with their behavior. As a result, he makes this statement: I am going to smear on your faces the dung from the animals you have sacrificed at your festivals, and you will be carried off with the carcasses of the animals that you have sacrificed. The intention is that the law specifies that the unburned parts of the sacrificed animal must be carried outside the camp and burned, partially because there is still dung hidden within the animal. God says that because of their sin, he will take that dung and smear it on their faces, where it is not hidden, and then command them to be carried outside of the city. The priests were putting on grand festivals and parties for the people, but like the stockyard of my youth, they couldn't hide the aroma. And God informs the religious elite that he will make the aroma visible.

It is a message that I think the contemporary church needs to hear and take seriously. In the last few years, I have become uncomfortable with some of the common language we use to describe ourselves. Terms like "born-again," "evangelical," and even "Christian" have become political terms rather than spiritual ones. All of which increases my discomfort. I was in a discussion recently with some pastor friends about the "evil evangelicals." My problem is that I would self-describe myself as an "evangelical," but I didn't see a description of my beliefs in my friends' essentially political portrayal of "Evangelical Christianity." I am an evangelical who believes in the power of the Bible and the sacrifice that Jesus made on my behalf. And, by the way, Jesus is the first and the last thing I believe we need to know. He is the Messiah who came to do what we could not: make atonement for us. The problem is that the aroma of our politics threatens to overwhelm the presence of Jesus in his church. That is a problem. And I am afraid that the day is coming when God will smear the dung of our festival sacrifices on our faces and throw us out with the garbage because we forgot to major in Jesus and minor in everything else.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Malachi 3 & 4

No comments:

Post a Comment