Wednesday 1 March 2023

I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love. To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them. - Hosea 11:4

Today's Scripture Reading (March 1, 2023): Hosea 11 & 12

I have frequently told a story that occurred early on in my career. I was the youth Pastor of the church, and one morning the children's Pastor needed to talk to me about something. She pulled me over to the side, and we discussed a shared challenge. But then she commented, "I don't know how you do it. I could never work with teens. Children are so much easier." I remember smiling at my colleague and telling her, "I feel the same way about you. I get teens, but children are a little out of my league. I am very happy to let you handle the children while you leave me with the teens." It has always been an example of how God equips us differently. We are not supposed to be carbon copies of each other; our differences are important, and together, we make up the church.

As I said, I have told this story a few times. Later in my career, by this time I had become the Lead Pastor of a church, I was coming off a day where I had been busy with meetings and was still at the church in the early evening. The church's Children's Department was holding a celebration, so children and volunteers filled the various rooms of the church. With no secretary in the office, I was left handling the phones. And a phone call came in for the Children's Pastor, who happened to be with a group of Kindergarten Kids in a room in the basement. I went to tell her to come to the phone and offered to stay with the kids. She gave me a bit of a funny look and then consented and went to answer the phone, leaving me with the children. She wasn't the same Children's Pastor who had had that discussion with me years earlier. But apparently, she had heard the tale.

She came back to the classroom about fifteen minutes later. It must have been quite a scene. The Pastor, dressed in a suit and tie, sitting on the floor reliving his childhood, playing with a group of five-year-olds. Years later, I heard her retell the story to a group of children's workers. She told her listeners that she had been called away for a phone call, and she left her group of treasures in the presence of a Pastor who admits he doesn't do children's ministry. She was a little nervous leaving the children in his inexperienced hands, but when she returned, she found him on the floor, talking with them at their level, doing everything that a seasoned children's worker would do.

It was a great compliment. But I also recognize that playing with children significantly differs from trying to teach them something. Playing with them is on my level; many friends continuously tell me I am still a kid.

Hosea's image in this verse is of a parent or another loving adult caring for children. Chords of human kindness indicate the cords or strings with which a parent would allow their children a little independence. They would often tie them with ropes to the adult, giving the child some freedom as they learn to walk while at the same time keeping them safe and secure. Lifting a little child to their cheek or bending down to feed them illustrates a parent getting down on the child's level. The image Hosea wants Israel to understand was that God had done precisely these things. God had tried to keep them safe, tying them to the Temple that represented his presence on earth, but they had cut the cord and wandered off to other gods and altars. God had gotten down on their level to lead them, but they had rejected that leadership. God had been a good parent, yet his children rejected him anyway. They had wandered away from their parent to confront the world alone. And Dad was calling them back, but his children were turning a deaf ear to his pleas, just like so many human children, deciding that they knew better than Dad on how to live in this world.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Hosea 13 & 14

No comments:

Post a Comment