Tuesday 28 February 2023

Israel was a spreading vine; he brought forth fruit for himself. As his fruit increased, he built more altars; as his land prospered. – Hosea 10:1

Today's Scripture Reading (February 28, 2023): Hosea 10

Several years ago, the world seemed obsessed with "The Prayer of Jabez." And I admit that I even have my version of the prayer. My version says, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my influence! Let your hand be with me and keep me from causing harm and pain." I also freely admit that my version is not a faithful representation of the prayer that Jabez prayed but rather uses the "Prayer of Jabez" as a framework to address some of the needs in my life. Jabez prayed, "enlarge my territory," which I think corresponds well to "enlarge my influence" in my daily life. And while it seems that Jabez wanted to be kept from harm and pain, my largest concern is that I will not be the cause of harm or pain. I know that I have not been completely successful in that endeavor; I know that my truth has hurt some, and I am sincerely sorry for that. But that harm is also why I must keep praying my version of Jabez's prayer.

Hosea says that Israel was "a spreading vine." The intent here seems to be that Israel was increasing its influence. While far from a world superpower, the nation was becoming an even more important political player in the area. They are also bringing forth fruit; the country is going through a period of prosperity. Hosea wants his audience to understand that it was God that has given success to his people. But that success has not become the core of the nation's faith in their God. Instead, they have taken the money and influence that has been gained and have spent it on multiplying the altars in the countryside. And all those altars worshipped a god other than the one responsible for the increase.

For Hosea, this was a situation the prophet felt he needed to address. If the people didn't change, the time would come when the nation would get the prize toward which it had been working so hard. God would remove his blessing, and the people would have to do with the blessings they could get from their human shaped idols.

And it is something that we need to keep in our minds. As rough as life can be, if God ever completely removed his blessings from us, I am not sure we could comprehend how bad life could be. One acquaintance maintains that this is his definition of hell, a place where God is not. We may not think God has much to do with our evil world, but he is here, walking with us. And a world completely devoid of his presence is a nightmare that I hope no one among us ever has to experience.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Hosea 11 & 12

No comments:

Post a Comment