Friday 13 January 2023

Ahab king of Israel asked Jehoshaphat king of Judah, “Will you go with me against Ramoth Gilead?” Jehoshaphat replied, “I am as you are, and my people as your people; we will join you in the war.” – 2 Chronicle 18:3

Today's Scripture Reading (January 13, 2023): 2 Chronicles 18

Family is strange. Sometimes we fight, but then there are those special moments when we support each other. North and South Korea have been separated by politics for more than five decades, but something inside of me wonders if Koreans ever wake up in the morning and look across the border of their country and recognize that it is their cousins who are standing on the other side.

Because of my name, I have always considered myself to be Irish (Mullen=Ireland). I admit that I am sympathetic to the desires, needs, and politics of the Emerald Isle. But the truth is that I am Northern European. My heritage is from Ireland, but I am also English (I am the proud 37th cousin twice removed – or something like that – of Prince William through the lineage of his mother, Princess Diana). There is also more than a smattering of Dutch and German blood that flows through my veins. However, I also know that my ancestors have walked the paths of North America (the United States and Canada) since the middle of the 1600s. Even so, something inside of me still responds to news from Northern Europe; ties still bind me to the land my distant ancestors walked.

David's Kingdom was divided. Throughout their history, Israel and Judah either warred against or ignored each other. But deep down, they recognized that the blood of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob flowed through the veins of the people on both sides of the artificial divide that separated them. Jehoshaphat had made an extra move to ally himself with the House of Ahab through marriage. So, Ahab sends a message to his cousin Jehoshaphat who ruled on the other side of the divide. Ramoth Gilead was given to us, yet it is currently in the hands of a foreign king. Will you help me get it back?

The response? "Of course, we are family. What is mine is also yours; as long as God walks with us, we can walk together." It hadn't always been like that for the family of Jacob, but this was a special moment when the Kings recognized that an artificial border could not hide the fact that they were one people. Under God, they would always be one people, even if they served different earthly kings.

As Christians, we believe that we have been adopted by faith into the family of Abraham. We are one together. Even though we are separated, in Christ, we are unified into one people. And our goals are the same; we desire to proclaim the love of God to a world that has forgotten that love. As we walk with God, we are one, no matter what denominational brand we might carry on the earth. The Christian Church truly is united in Christ, and we should support and love each other.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Chronicles 19

 


No comments:

Post a Comment