Monday 21 November 2022

Wisdom is too high for fools; in the assembly at the gate they must not open their mouths. – Proverbs 24:7

Today's Scripture Reading (November 21, 2022): Proverbs 24

Communication is hard. I should know; it catches me on the wrong side more often than I want to admit. Sometimes someone takes something out of my statements that were never intended. For instance, if I tell you, "You are beautiful/handsome when you smile," does that mean that you are homely when you don't? That would not be the intended meaning, which is more that "I like it when you smile." And I can be pretty confident in saying that because I think every smile is special, and it was one of the things I missed seeing during the COVID-19 pandemic when we were all masked. And before you ask, that does not mean I think that masks were a mistake. As I said, communication can be hard.

The same is true for this saying of the wise. There are actually two ways of interpreting this verse. One is the way that the NIV seems to handle the verse. A fool cannot acquire wisdom; therefore, if you are a fool, be quiet when you are around other people, especially those who are wiser than you. After all, it is better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. But there are problems with that interpretation. First, we have to know that we are fools, and I am not sure that that is true. I know some people in my life who are fools and are blissfully unaware of that fact. (And I love to be around them anyway.) Others might think they are fools, but they often display flashes of wisdom and speak into situations where I need their voice. These people might also decide that they should remain silent, and, as a result, we would miss those flashes of brilliance.

The second interpretation, which I find preferable, would phrase this passage: "Wisdom is too high for fools; in the assembly at the gate the wise should not open their mouths." The concept is that fools cannot gain wisdom, so don't waste your breath trying to share it with them. Jesus said something similar during his Sermon on the Mount. "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces" (Matthew 7:6). A fool can neither hear nor accept any wisdom that you might offer, so save it for those who can appreciate what you have to say.

The problem with this interpretation, as is also true for the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount, is that it argues that people cannot or will not change. And maybe that hints at the Bible's definition of a fool. Could it be that the Bible defines a fool as someone with an unteachable spirit and who too quickly forms opinions that cannot be changed. And fools prefer to spend their time in echo chambers where everyone agrees with them. The wise would rather spend their time in a world where questions and challenges exist and not everyone agrees, even over important issues. Such moments make us examine our beliefs and strengthen our arguments. These times of deep discussion are valued by those who are truly wise.

And it is when we decide between the echo chamber and the broader discussion we choose whether we wish to stand with the wise or live as a fool. Personally, I think the path of the wise is much preferable.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Proverbs 25

No comments:

Post a Comment