Saturday 12 November 2022

Better a small serving of vegetables with love than a fattened calf with hatred. – Proverbs 15:17

Today's Scripture Reading (November 12, 2022): Proverbs 15

Sometimes I just need to sit back and listen to the "Arrogant Worms." And one of my favorite songs by the Worms is "Carrot Juice is Murder." The song takes up the right of the vegetables. According to the lyrics,

Vegetables live in oppression,
Served on our tables each night.
This killing of veggies is madness,
I say we take up the fight.

And then, of course, the chorus takes up the theme

I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (having their insides revealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (burning off calories)
How do you think that feels (bet it hurts really bad)
Carrot juice constitutes murder (and that's a real crime)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (let my vegetables go)
It's time to stop all this gardening (it's dirty as hell)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade is a spade)

The song hits home for someone who has never liked to eat his vegetables (I eat them, I just don't like to eat them). Why can't broccoli taste like a steak and peas like a bacon cheeseburger?

Maybe Solomon shared some food preferences with me. But he observes that it is better to eat a small serving of vegetables that are served with love than to enjoy a steak in the presence of those who hate you. And I agree. Mcdonald's is where my friends are. I would rather enjoy a time out at Mcdonald's with friends than a feast at a fancy restaurant with people who don't like me. And maybe that explains why I like McDonald's and don't really care about upscale restaurants.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Proverbs 16


No comments:

Post a Comment