Tuesday 1 March 2022

[Micah] said to his mother, "The eleven hundred shekels of silver that were taken from you and about which I heard you utter a curse—I have that silver with me; I took it." Then his mother said, "The LORD bless you, my son!" – Judges 17:2

Today's Scripture Reading (March 1, 2022): Judges 17

Science fiction author Robert Heinlein (1907-1988) argued that "I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." The first part of Heinlein's comment is descriptive. And it probably describes most of us. The hardest laws or rules to keep are those we don't understand. If the COVID-19 pandemic taught us anything, it is that we are only willing to obey regulations that we understand and with which we agree. And part of the dance done by our politicians during times of crisis is to find the place where we have enough restrictions to keep people safe, and yet not so many that the majority of people would find them obnoxious and not worth the effort to attempt to follow.

But it is Heinlein's next phrase that is the most important. 'I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." I am convinced that moral responsibility is lacking in our society. We lack a moral direction or have traded moral responsibility for what is expedient. Often, those around us have let us take the practical path instead of the moral one. It is part of the confusion of our era. Maybe we too often make excuses for our children instead of holding them to a standard of accountability. Maybe …

The ending chapters of Judges tell the story of a time of moral confusion in Israel. And the theme of these chapters, as well as the rest of the book, is summed up several times with the words, "In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit" (Judges 21:25). The concept was that, hopefully, a King would have helped Israel set a moral standard (and no, that seemed to be seldom the truth.) But in the absence of a national leader, the nation existed in a continuous state of moral confusion.

There is also evidence that what we have as the closing chapters of Judges should really be placed chronologically at the beginning of the book. This means that these stories took place soon after Joshua said his farewell, leaving the nation without a leader or a King. It didn't take generations for Israel to become morally confused. The path from righteous followers of God to a people built around the idea of expediency took just months or a very few years.

And the tale about this time of confusion begins with the story of Micah. Micah's mother had lost thirteen kilograms (or twenty-eight pounds) of silver. It was a significant amount of money that represented years of wages for the average person. And when she realized that it was gone, she openly cursed the situation, as might we all. But we find out that her son, Micah, took the money. He returns it to her, and she blesses him for giving her back her wealth, even though he was the source of her anguish and missing silver in the first place. The willingness of Micah to steal the fortune from his mother and his mother's refusal to make her son accountable for his actions tells us a lot about the spiritual state of Israel during this era. If the story of Micah is a typical example of Israel during this time, then they had become a nation that didn't accept moral responsibility. Instead, they did what was expedient, and the story of Micah demonstrates the theme of the book; "In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit."

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Judges 18

No comments:

Post a Comment