Wednesday 16 June 2021

And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. – Revelation 20:12

Today's Scripture Reading (June 16, 2021): Revelation 20

A woman who had lost a child due to a drunk driver wrote a letter to the columnist "Dear Abby." In her letter, she admitted that she was hurt by a response from another letter writer who had declared, "What right do we mortals have to demand an explanation from God?" She went on to write that -

God didn't answer my prayers, and I resent being told that I have no right to question God. If there is a God, and if I ever get to meet him face to face, you can bet your life I will have plenty of whys for him to answer. I want to know why my little girl died and why that drunk was allowed to go on living (Dear Abby).

I think we all have a lot of questions for God. I have admitted that even I have questions in times of grief, so I don't judge this woman for wanting a chance to ask hers. But I suspect, at that moment, all the questions will melt away in the joy of being in God's presence and the reality of our reunion with the ones we loved who have gone on before us. Maybe there will be a time when all our painful questions, which will have likely by then have been downgraded to a curiosity, can be asked. But this is not the moment.

What John is describing is not a trial. This is not the moment when the charges are read, and the prosecution and the defense get to make their arguments. John's description is of the sentencing phase of the trial. All of the discussions have already been made. The accused stands to receive the sentence and does so in silence, hoping that the grave situation would not be made even worse.

John says these dead are judged according to what they have done as recorded in the books that had been opened. The statement goes against our belief that salvation is based on the sacrifice of Jesus and not our actions. But the reality behind this scene is that John is watching the sentencing of those whose name could not be found in the Book of Life. For these people, all that remains is the hope that they can make it on their actions. And as their efforts are proclaimed, so is their guilt.

And at that moment, all that is left is the mercy of the court as the guilty are sentenced for all that they have done.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Revelation 21

No comments:

Post a Comment