Monday 17 May 2021

Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. – Hebrews 10:11

Today's Scripture Reading (May 17, 2021): Hebrews 10

I love to speak the words, although I admittedly don't speak them enough. The words come in many forms, but they all have the same intent. They are often called an "Absolution of Sin."

Through the cross of Christ,
God have mercy on you,
pardon you and set you free.
Know that you are forgiven
and be at peace.
God strengthen you in all goodness
and keep you in life eternal.          
Amen.  

I love to speak the words, but I also know that the words themselves have no power just because I say them. I have no power. I am just a priest who, week after week, stands before my congregation performing my religious duties, which includes speaking the words and offering their sacrifices, in the form of tithes and offerings, to God. The words are a reminder of the reality that Jesus completed the work of forgiveness on the cross.

I can declare absolution over my congregation, but really it is just a hope. I know that if you have accepted Christ's sacrifice, you were forgiven for your sin before I spoke the words. I hope that the words of absolution will bring you back to that moment of sacrifice. In the same way, if you have rejected Christ, I can speak the words repeatedly over you, and it will not change the reality that, while Christ died for you, you still have not accepted that sacrifice as yours. You are still living stuck in your sin with a hard and unrepentant heart. At the moment that I speak the words, I hope you will recognize the sacrifice made on your behalf and accept the sacrifice as yours.

It is the point that Hebrews is making. For generations, priests had ministered in the Temple, making their sacrifices for sin. For generations, they had performed their religious duties over and over again, but nothing had changed. The sacrifices attempted to pay the price for our sin but could never take it away. The sacrifices, made by the priests, could never truly make absolution for sin. Only the Cross of Christ could do that.

Pastors and priests continue to do their religious duties, but now there is a difference; we do so knowing that Christ has made the sacrifice that can take away our sin, and with our words and actions, we continue to point to that sacrifice.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11

No comments:

Post a Comment