Saturday 22 May 2021

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. – 1 John 1:7

Today's Scripture Reading (May 22, 2021): 1 John 1

Charlie Peacock wrote the song in 1991. DC Talk featured the song on their 1995 album, "Jesus Freak." The song is about the war that goes on inside of us between who we are and who we want to be. There is always a gap between our aspirations and reality, and that gap makes us very uncomfortable. For the Christian, it should drive us toward being more like Christ. Peacock wrote these words.

I want to be in the Light
As You are in the Light
I want to shine like the stars in the heavens
Oh, Lord be my Light and be my salvation
Cause all I want is to be in the Light
All I want is to be in the Light

I can't help but sing the song whenever I read through 1 John 1:7. It is here that John clearly says that the relationship we have with God will be reflected, not only in our behavior but in our interactions with each other.

Now, let me pause here because I can hear the voice of some of my friends, maybe you, arguing that this is why we need to get tough on sin. And I agree. Our behavior should reflect him if we are walking in the light. But whenever I get self-righteous on the issue, I am confronted by the behavior of Jesus. Jesus didn't shun those who were not in the light. He didn't tell the Samaritan woman at the well that unless she got her act together, she would remain in darkness. To the woman caught in the act of adultery, he said that the one who was without sin should throw the first stone. (Yes, he did tell her to go and sin no more, but that seems to be the exception, it is one of two times during his ministry when he uttered those words, even though we seem to like to think it was the rule.) When Peter denied him in Jerusalem, he met him on the banks of the Sea of Galilee and reinstated him. When Thomas doubted him, he came to his doubting disciple giving him a reason to believe. Jesus's message was never, "Come to the light or die in darkness." He seemed to make every effort to take the light into dark places. He never seemed to give up on them, welcoming them into his fellowship even when their behavior was far from what he desired. And that is good news because it means that he hasn't given up on me either.

So, what does that mean for me? And my conscience keeps coming back to the idea that if I am walking in the light, reflecting the behavior of Jesus, I am carrying that light into some dark places. And I am sharing my light with people who may believe differently than me. Walking in the light means not giving up on those in darkness.

Going back to Charlie Peacocks lyrics,     

I want to be in the Light
As You are in the Light
I want to shine like the stars in the heavens

You never see the stars during the day. To "shine like the stars in the heavens" means I am shining in the places where night is dominating. Of course, that is precisely what Jesus did, so why would I expect that my reality should be anything different.

Go and be the light wherever it is that life takes you today. Be the light, as he is in the light. And we will have fellowship together, reflecting him.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 John 2

 

No comments:

Post a Comment