Saturday 24 April 2021

Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have departed from the faith. Grace be with you all. – 1 Timothy 6:20-21

Today's Scripture Reading (April 24, 2021): 1 Timothy 6

Many years ago, a dignitary from the denomination showed up for a Sunday morning service. It happens, but it is also a perfect time to suffer a case of nerves. I had prepared for the morning, but I never feel like I have studied enough. The worship team was good but were they good enough. The service went off without a problem, and I had an opportunity to meet with the dignitary in the church's foyer after the service. He smiled, apologized that he had to run, but then left me with two messages. One was that I was being underutilized in my current position. It is good to hear someone say that you are doing okay and that the door isn't closed for a move, but I had no desire to be anywhere else. I was happy with my congregation, small though it might be.

The second message was a simple one. Love your congregation. Love the ones that God has entrusted to your care. That wasn't a problem. The reason why I was content in my place of ministry was precisely that I did love them. Every person in the congregation was remarkable, and it was my privilege to be with them; some of them I have been with for almost twenty-five years. My community was easy to love, and it is my privilege to be with them.

When I read Paul's closing words to Timothy, I hear two messages. The first is the one that most Bible scholars seem to hear. Guard what has been entrusted to your care, namely, the gospel message, or literally, the "good news," left to us by Jesus. The "good news" is a message of love and acceptance that is directed to all people. The "good news" has been entrusted, not just to the pastors like Timothy, but to all Christians. But often, this "good news" gets perverted. We don't accept everyone, and our rejection of people is often the immediate cause of pain, and as a result of this pain, people have left the church. Paul wants Timothy to do everything he can to guard this "good news."

But that is not the only message I read with Paul's words to "guard what has been entrusted to your care." And while the "good news" is important, the guarding of the gospel message has an even more important purpose; the universality of the "good news" is essential for protecting the people who had also been entrusted to Timothy's care. Paul is pleading with Timothy to love his congregation.

Every group of people has its people who require extra care. In Christianese, often referred to these individuals as EGR people; extra grace required. And it is easy to discard these people or wish that they would somehow wander away. What we forget is that they are as important to God as we are. And Paul wants Timothy to guard the people who have been entrusted to him, including, and maybe more specifically, the EGR's, because these people are often the easiest to lose.

But it is not just the task of Timothy to keep the EGR's. These people often require the efforts of the whole congregation to love into the kingdom. I am haunted by the EGR's that I have lost over the years, often because someone in the community simply lost patience with them and cast them away. But they are our responsibility because God cares for them too.

So, go and guard what has been entrusted to you. Guard the gospel, but protect the people too. Never lose sight that both are important.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 1

 


No comments:

Post a Comment