Monday 26 April 2021

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. – 1 Peter 2:9

Today's Scripture Reading (April 26, 2021): 1 Peter 2

I love sports. I am not, however, very good at any of them. The reality is that I know what it is like to be picked last or next to last. I have been too slow or clumsy to be of any real value in any sporting contest for most of my life. And yet, I love to play. I still remember the day that I discovered that I could throw an American football. When I played the sport on an official basis, I played on the defensive line, usually as a defensive end. I was really too slow for the position, but I tried to think my way through what was happening, hopefully minimizing my imperfections. But in a schoolyard pick-up game, we were taking turns playing at quarterback, being the one who throws the football. It was my turn, and I remember having a speedy kid on our team. He left the defenders in his dust. But try as I might, I was unable to complete a pass to him. After about my third attempt to hit him on a passing play, I apologized for my limitations, taking the blame on myself. Another player was walking by me amid the apology to my angry receiver and commented, "You hit him in the chest three times. I really don't think the problem was with the throw." And he was partially correct, although I felt that I needed to learn to feather the pass in rather than drive it. But after that, I started to rely more on my arm and became a little more valuable on the field, at least in the schoolyard game. But I was still too slow for anything else. But I loved the game, and I refused to let my inadequacies drive me away from it.

My experience in being picked last is probably why, during my adult years, I began a tradition of dividing into teams instead of picking. Suppose you try to just separate into two approximately equal groups. In that case, no one has the privilege of being selected first, or the embarrassment of being picked last, or even worse, not being picked at all, just gifted to the other team because no one wants you.

Peter reminds his readers that they are a chosen people. God saw value in them and picked them to be on his team. Not picked last, because someone has to get stuck with us, but actively chosen by God to be on his team, a part of his priesthood. We, as the disciples of Jesus Christ, are not Americans or Canadians. We are not Irish, English, or Ukrainian. We are Christians, the members of God's holy nation. And it is the only time that we can all know that we were picked first.

So be proud to bear the name "Christian." Reclaim the title from those who have sullied it with politics and hate. Recognize that in wearing that simple title, that you are unique and one of God's chosen. And as you bear the name, go to the rest whom God has chosen and show the love to them that God has revealed to you. Go out and make a difference by leading them from darkness to light.  

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 3

No comments:

Post a Comment