Sunday 28 March 2021

Greet one another with a holy kiss. – 2 Corinthians 13:12

Today's Scripture Reading (March 28, 2021): 2 Corinthians 12 &13

As the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic began, I was called to a meeting with someone I didn't know. We met, just the two of us, at a table at a McDonald's. Even though it was early in the pandemic, I was already aware that some of the ordinary things, which included shaking hands, were now problematic. And yet, I walked into the McDonald's with this man I didn't know, and the first thing I did was extend my hand as I had in almost every meeting in my adult years. He eagerly accepted my invitation with a comment; "Finally, someone who is not afraid to shake hands." I recognized my mistake, but when it was too late. I sat, and we talked. And when the meeting was over, I rose and left, without the customary good-bye handshake. I am a slow learner, but I can learn.

As I write this, more than a year has passed since that meeting, and still, one of the hardest things for me not to do when I meet someone is not extending my hand for the customary greeting. Some have argued that we will never return to the days of the handshake, but I am not convinced. It might take us a while, but the handshake is too deeply ingrained in our culture to be lost forever, possibly only to be replaced by the polite bow that is customary in some oriental societies.

In the first century, it wasn't a handshake; it was a kiss. Five letters, four from Paul (Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, and 1 Thessalonians) and one from Peter (1 Peter), end with the instructions to "greet one another (or all the brothers in 1 Thessalonians) with a "holy kiss." The kiss was a nonerotic expression of peace. St Augustine speaks of the "holy kiss" in one of his Easter Sermons.

When the Sacrifice is finished, we say the Lord's Prayer which you have received and recited. After this, the 'Peace be with you' is said, and the Christians embrace one another with the holy kiss. This is a sign of peace; as the lips indicate, let peace be made in your conscience, that is, when your lips draw near to those of your brother, do not let your heart withdraw from his (St Augustine).

Augustine seems to indicate that this kiss was not a peck on the cheek as is customary in some contemporary societies today, but a kiss on the lips.

But even in ancient times, there was one moment when "the holy kiss" was deemed inappropriate. And that time was on Good Friday. Judas had betrayed Jesus with a kiss on that first Good Friday, so it was the one day when Christians avoided exchanging "the holy kiss" in greeting each other. Because on that day, the kiss was not one of peace, but instead a remembrance of betrayal.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Acts 21

No comments:

Post a Comment