Wednesday 6 May 2020

The LORD said to me, "Son of man, these are the men who are plotting evil and giving wicked advice in this city. – Ezekiel 11:2


Today's Scripture Reading (May 6, 2020): Ezekiel 11

Recently, a meme went through Facebook that declared that Facebook had banned the Lord's Prayer on its social media site. The meme then directed people to post the Lord's prayer on their Facebook pages, proving that Christians are not willing to give in to the whims of the social media giant. Of course, the easiest way to place the Lord's Prayer on your Facebook page was to share the meme. In reality, Facebook has never issued any such directive but, as with so many other things that we are asked to share, our gullibility made someone a lot of money. And, because we trusted, we became part of the lie.

Ernest Hemmingway said that "The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them." Unfortunately, it is also a very expensive way. If we decide to trust someone, and then we find out that they are not trustworthy, the result is a costly bill that we are going to have to pay. When we post other people's lies on social media, people learn that we cannot be trusted. I just shared what I saw is not an adequate defense. We became the untrustworthy avenue for the lies to travel down. (You know all those, I am so ugly that no one will share my picture memes? Every single one of them represents a lie that someone is trying to lure you into so that they can make money. The best thing to do is to follow the drug use rule; just say no!) One of the only questions that really matters in life is, "Can I trust you?"

Trust is not about perfect performance or not making mistakes. We all make mistakes. We all have made decisions that afterward we wish we could take back. The central element of trust is that the person has the aim to make the best decision possible in the middle of a specific set of circumstances. I can trust you if I know that you want the best for me. If you don't, then I need to guard my every response so that my actions benefit me and those who have placed their trust in me

It is an argument that surfaces in every political campaign. In the last provincial (state) election cycle, it was trust that divided my vote. The reality was that the political party I agreed with the most in principle, I felt had violated my ability to trust with their actions. The candidate that I trusted the most came from a party that I thought had wrong policies, especially when it came to economics. The result was a tug of war inside of me. Eventually, I threw my full support behind the politician that had earned my trust, even though I felt that his party was headed in the wrong direction. Was it the right decision? I don't know. But at the time it was the only one that I felt I could make.

God points out to Ezekiel a group of men standing at the gates of the Temple, and standing among them were two of the leaders of the city. And the message that God gives to Ezekiel is one based on trust. God tells Ezekiel that these men are giving wicked advice to the people of the city, and they definitely can't be trusted. We don't know what the advice might have been, but it seems likely that they were taking a message to the people that argued that God would never let Jerusalem fall. And God needed Ezekiel to bring the truth to anyone who would listen. This time the city was in trouble. Jerusalem had not fallen in the past, but this time it would fall. It was a trustworthy message delivered by someone that the people could trust, because he was in contact with his God.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 12


No comments:

Post a Comment