Friday 14 July 2017

“You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?” declares the LORD Almighty. “Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with your own house. – Haggai 1:9


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 14, 2017): Haggai 1

Welcome to the “Spin Room.” Okay, maybe not. But sometimes this world just seems to be so subjective. I love politics, but I freely admit that often politics is really just the art of arranging the facts. The political left and right deal with the same facts, but they present them differently. There have been jobs created under the current political leader, but the beginnings of the programs that have resulted in the jobs have been set up by the previous political leader. Who gets the credit? Job growth, while present, has slowed. Who gets the blame? Both sides grab hold of the facts and “spin” them differently; they tell a story out of the facts that best support their political bent and what they desire to happen.

And this is not just a political phenomenon; it goes well beyond politics spilling into other areas of our lives. I recently spoke a series of messages about the LGBTQ Community and the Christian Church. And regardless of your conclusion as to whether or not sin is present within the community, your take will probably be a result of your own personal “Spin Room.” The question that keeps me awake at night is how in the world did a behavior pattern mentioned a total of seven times in the Bible ever get to be the explosive issue it is in our world – and in the church. The answer? Because we have given the issue the “spin” it needs to become important. The Bible seems to take a much stronger stand against greed and gossip and is strongly in favor of loving those around us even if we disagree with them. But, if we are honest, condemning homosexuality is more exciting than condemning gossip. (Or as one person told me, “Everybody gossips. Get over it. Any attempt to make gossip a sin, in spite of what the Bible says about the behavior, is bound to fail. Just give in and let us gossip.”) I am not sure that I understand the paradigm at work here. (Or, more likely, I don’t want to understand.)

Personally, I have to admit that I struggle with Haggai the Prophet. I have admitted that I am not sure that I believe that God ever desired for Solomon to build a Temple to his name. He had commanded the community of God to build the Tabernacle, a tent of meeting. And that seemed to be enough. But David, using almost the exact same argument as Haggai, had argued that the Temple needed to be built. How could the king live in his grand mansion while the God of Heaven and Earth dwelled in a tent? God’s response was that David’s son would build the Temple. David thought that God meant Solomon, although I am pretty sure God had Jesus in mind.

But, in the end, God accepted Solomon’s Temple, and his glory rested on it. Babylon destroys the Temple, and now Haggai enters the scene and encourages another son of David, Zerubbabel, to become the new Solomon and rebuild the Temple. He places into the mouth of God the rejected argument of David – how can you live in beautiful houses while God’s house was in ruins. It just doesn’t seem to be an argument that God, who taught that “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be” (Isaiah 66:1)?

I love Daphne Rademaker’s response to the question of God in Isaiah.

            Here Oh Lord, have I prepared for you a home

Long have I desired for you to dwell

Here Oh Lord, have I prepared a resting place

Hear Oh Lord; I wait for you aloneHere oh Lord have I prepared for You a home
Long have I desired for You to dwell
Here oh Lord have I prepared a resting place
Here oh Lord I wait for You aloneHere oh Lord have I prepared for You a home
Long have I desired for You to dwell
Here oh Lord have I prepared a resting place
Here oh Lord I wait for You aloneHere oh Lord have I prepared for You a home
Long have I desired for You to dwell
Here oh Lord have I prepared a resting place
Here oh Lord I wait for You alone Here oh Lord have I prepared for You a home
Long have I desired for You to dwell
Here oh Lord have I prepared a resting place
Here oh Lord I wait for You alone

God’s intention has always been to live in the midst of his people, wherever they might be, the presence of an earthly Temple notwithstanding. Here oh Lord have I prepared for You a home
Long have I desired for You to dwell
Here oh Lord have I prepared a resting place
Here oh Lord I wait for You alone

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Haggai 2

No comments:

Post a Comment