Monday 17 July 2017

“Shout and be glad, Daughter Zion. For I am coming, and I will live among you,” declares the LORD. – Zechariah 2:10


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 17, 2017): Zechariah 2

On June 10, 2017, Adam West died. I have to admit that it was a sad moment for me. I never met Mr. West, although I would have loved to have had the privilege of shaking his hand. But back when I was too young to be able to tell time correctly, I had a weekly date with him. I would situate myself in front of the family’s black and white television set and get ready to watch “Batman.” For me, Adam West was and always will be “Batman.” Others have come and have played the role of the “Caped Crusader,” and I have enjoyed every performance, but whenever I think of Batman, it is Adam West that comes to mind. He was first, and no one will ever be able to quite measure up to the way that he wore the cowl.

I know that West was horribly hurt for at least part of his life that the role that he played for three short years on T.V. would dominate the rest of his life. How could “Batman” play a judge on “Law and Order?” And the problem was people like me who would see him and exclaim, almost uncontrollably, “Batman!” Finally, he made his peace with the troubled crime fighter, and was even able to laugh at his alter ego on shows like “The Big Bang Theory.” But I think the problem is that we needed “Batman.” And he gave us our hero in a campy, straight-faced way.

Part of the allure of “Batman” is that he was always there – he was never farther than a bat signal away. Commissioner Gordon would send someone to the roof to send up the signal or pick up the batphone that sat on his desk, and in no time, Batman would come. We all need to have a “Batman” on speed dial, even little kids sitting on the living room floor in their pajama’s looking up at a black and white T.V. and watching all of the “Pow’s” and “Bam's.”

Zechariah tells Israel to shout and be glad because God is on his way. He has seen the signal, and he is coming to live with them. He would be, and actually always was, the presence that is never more than a call away. His presence will make a difference. “Batman” may be a fictional character stolen from the D.C. Comic universe, but God really comes when we call his name. His presence is and always will be with us. Sometimes we need to be reminded of that.

Thank you, Adam West, for allowing your life to be hijacked by the cowled crime fighter. You made a difference to every kid who needed a hero, and every adult who needed to laugh. And maybe you even reminded us that there is a God who is only a “Bat” signal away – one who has come to live among us.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Zechariah 3

No comments:

Post a Comment