Monday 24 July 2017

As for you, because of the blood of my covenant with you, I will free your prisoners from the waterless pit. – Zechariah 9:11


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 24, 2017): Zechariah 9

When I was a kid, I remember playing a game of hockey in which I didn’t have the correct Jersey to wear. All of the players on the team had jerseys with a number and a name on the back of it. I was a late addition to the team, so my Jersey had the wrong name on it. I remember the first game I played in was an away game and one player was getting on the fans nerves. For some reason, they really didn’t like this guy. My problem was that I didn’t recognize the name of the person they were upset with as a person that played for our team until – yeah – I took my Jersey off at the end of the game and found the name at which everyone was screaming. After the game, I received the message that I hadn’t understood during the heat of the play.

One of the stumbling blocks to the Christian faith is the crucifixion of Jesus. We don’t understand the crucifixion on a few levels – but one is how a father could sacrifice his own son. It is a good question. And it probably doesn’t have a good answer, but

Zechariah is right. The signature on the first covenant between God and man was signed in blood – the blood of animals. God promised to do as he said he would as long as the recipients were ethically responsible – that is, as long as they reflected the character and image of God in the world in which he had placed us. In a fallen world, that was a daunting task, so the blood of animals sacrificed stressed both the importance of the covenant and man’s inability to reflect God’s character without God’s help. One of the major weaknesses was that it required a functioning temple. If the temple was ever destroyed (as it has been), then the sacrifices could no longer be offered.

So God was about to change the covenant. Just before the second temple was destroyed – God signed a new covenant with the blood of his son. In doing so, he wrote his name on our Jerseys. As we move through our days, it is his name that people see. And the question that they are asking is “does this Jesus, whose name you bear, really make a difference in your life?” And when I hear people speak against Christ, the truth is that it is not because somehow Christ has failed, but we who bear his name have failed. We have not been the force for good, for peace, for the release of the prisoners, that Christ’s presence in our lives should have made us. Instead, we are judgmental and have worked to keep those who disagree with us in their prisons. We have failed; I have failed, not Christ.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Zechariah 10

No comments:

Post a Comment