Thursday 18 December 2014

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. – 2 Corinthians 4:4


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 18, 2014): 2 Corinthians 4

American Atheists National Convention has once again released their billboard for the Christmas season. I have to admit that I look forward every year to the occasion – and I even have a few of them saved on my computer. This year’s edition displays a little girl with a Santa Hat on writing her Christmas wish list for Santa. The letter reads – Dear Santa: All I want for Christmas is to skip church! I’m too old for fairy tales. (You might need to pause here a moment to let the intended irony sink in.) The billboard has been released in a limited number of areas for the Christmas season – largely in Bible belt areas where the association believes that too many atheists are hiding in the closet and need some encouragement to come out.

 
 

But what has always amazed or bothered me with the American Atheists National Convention is that they seem more like closet Christians. They seem to want all of the things that are offered by the church, just without the awkward inconvenience of a belief in God. And why not, they are people too. We all need the kind of community that seems too often be only available inside various faith based organizations.

Atheists seem to want to promise a lot of things – better world, peace, love, the simple ability to be good – all of which they believe that they can do and be without God. And I would be the last one to disagree with them. I think that you can be all of those things without God. But they are also available with God. Maybe the biggest misconception is that we rely on God to give us all of those good things. But the truth is that we need God for none of it – the promise of God is not that we will be good, but simply that we would be finally find life.

A while back another Atheist campaign advertised an atheist family (the Monnett family) with the tag line – come doubt with us. Admittedly the billboard confused me. How can you doubt if you are sure that God doesn’t exist.

Let me tell you a secret. Don’t tell anybody, but I doubt every day. There are so many things that I just don’t understand about life or about God. Christianity has never really been about not doubting – it has been about being willing to journey and to consider the possibility of God, it is about refusing to be blinded to the possibility of God. And that is the commitment that I make every day. I refuse to allow myself to be blinded to the possibility. And the journey – and God - has never disappointed me.



So, maybe it is time to extend the invitation back to all of my Atheist friends. This Christmas, why not come and explore your doubt us. At least we have an alternative to offer – and it is an alternative to which you don’t have to be blind. Come on and join us and we can doubt together – you know you wanna!

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 5

No comments:

Post a Comment