Monday 29 December 2014

For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” – Romans 1:17


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 29, 2014): Romans 1

I can’t be good. This I know. Sometimes I think that other people believe that I am unaware of my foibles, but I am not. And the worst thing about it is that even when I think I am being good, I find out that I don’t quite measure up. I fail and fall short too often for my own comfort. Having said this, I don’t want you to somehow believe that this is a disease that I am keeping to myself. I see it almost every day, in almost every person that I find around me (I want to say every day and every person, but I will leave some room for those who believe that they must be exempt from the illness.)

A few weeks ago I had to have an uncomfortable conversation with a good friend. He had been hurt by the comments that had been made by others within our little faith community, and wondered why it was that we have such a hard time loving each other. But at the same time, he had overlooked how he had done the exact same thing. And the unpleasant reality is that none of the hurt was caused purposely. They were both trying to be good, but both had failed miserably.

I can’t be good. But somehow that doesn’t make any sense to me. I should be able to do anything to which I will set my mind. Being good should be almost a mathematical probability. If we do A, B, And C then the result will always be D. But it never works out like that. Something deflects us – stops us – wrecks us. We fail. And I can’t explain that – and that bothers me.

I recently had another discussion with someone who would never consider themselves a Christian. And one of the comments that was made during the conversation was that you didn’t have to be a Christian to be good. The idea is one of the biggest misconceptions with regard to Christianity. My friend is absolutely right. In fact, the only chance you have of thinking of yourself as good is if you stand solidly outside of the faith - because inside of the faith the righteousness of God is revealed, and we just can’t measure up.

And so we are left with our faith. I know – we know – that we are not good. Our only chance at being thought of as good is that by faith we can somehow reflect the righteousness that comes only from God. We live by faith. And it has always been that way. One of the things that I love about the Bible is that it refuses to pull punches in describing the heroes of the faith. These men and women have committed every crime possible. And yet they are considered to be good because they reflect the righteousness that comes from God. All of this is because, from the first to the last, the righteous live by faith.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Romans 2

No comments:

Post a Comment