Wednesday 17 December 2014

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. – 2 Corinthians 3:18


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 17, 2014): 2 Corinthians 2 & 3

Sometimes, when we look in the mirror, we don’t actually see what is real. What we often seem to see is just a caricature of ourselves, a cartoon picture drawn by a street corner artist that only seems to magnify our flaws. I recently attended a farewell function for a colleague. Part of the entertainment at the function was an acted parody of the guest of honor, myself, and another pastor friend. The parody was wonderful – and frightening. I admit that I recognized myself in the presentation, but I also have to admit that at times I wished I couldn’t see myself. It was just a caricature. I have the same issue when I watch a video of myself speaking. I never see myself as I am, just the caricature of me. And deep down I know that it isn’t truth.

Paul’s revelation in this statement is a fork of at least three prongs. The first prong is that the statement concerns all. Some wish to limit this statement, maybe to all who are chosen by God, but that is not what Paul really tells us. He says all, or maybe more precisely, all who care to look, will see God. This is in opposition to the story of Moses where it was only Moses who was allowed on the Mountain to meet with God. The rest of the Israel had to stand aside and wait – not even touching the base of the mountain. But for Paul, all of that had changed. It was no longer the one, or even just the apostles, it was all.

The second prong considered the presence of the “unveiled faces.” As Moses came off the mountain, all of Israel was dismayed because his face reflected the God that he had spent time with. It was too much for Israel, and so Israel made Moses hide his face. But we stand with unveiled faces. While Moses reflected God in diminishing fashion, less as time moved him away from the Mountain of God, we are reflecting God in increasing fashion, becoming more and more like him. In fact, if there is proof of a person’s “Christianity,” it is that we are becoming more like Christ as we become more willing to spend time with him; the more we are willing to look and see him.

But the third prong demonstrates the limitation that we still live under. Older translations replace contemplate with the idea of seeing God as if we are seeing him in the mirror. Ancient mirrors didn’t reveal the truth, they revealed only a caricature by their nature. And that is how Paul says that we see God. A caricature of who he really is. One day we will see him face to face, but for now he is only a reflection, seen imperfectly by those of us who are willing to look.     

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 4

No comments:

Post a Comment