Sunday 6 July 2014

“Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” – Esther 4:16


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 6, 2014): Esther 4

Would you break the law for your faith? I remembering hearing the words being asked and not being sure why they would be asked of me in this situation. I was sitting in a seminar that was being led by an accomplished church consultant. Maybe it is part of the easy religious time that I have grown up in and have become accustomed to that made the question hard to evaluate. I mean, I am a Christian. On one hand we believe that we are saved by faith and not by the law, but on the other hand we do not recklessly disobey the laws of the land. We are not a sect that believed that the laws of the nations only apply to other people and not to us. In fact, in the places where I have lived the laws of the nation were largely based on the laws found in the Bible. Do not murder, or steal. Do not lie. Treat others as you would have them treat you. These, and a few others, form the basis for the laws that we follow – and all of them are found in the Bible. We believe that the people who are placed in authority over us are placed there by God. We pray for them regularly. We want to be seen as good citizens. One of the questions that has always bothered me is whether or not the neighborhood would miss us if the church simply closed its doors and disappeared. My hope is that they would, but that kind of respect is rarely afforded to lawless anarchists.

But the church consultant continued. Every time someone smuggles a Bible into a country where the Bible has been outlawed, they are breaking the law. Every time a church meets in a society where such activities have been banned, they are breaking the law. Those Christians that hid the hunted Jews during the Second World War, or the ones who hid the Tutsi and moderate Hutu from the Hutu majority during the Rwandan Civil War were breaking the law. And I had to admit that I had never experienced anything like that – I had never lived in a nation where the Government had turned its power on its own people. I had never had to make that choice. And because I have never been in a situation that demanded me to break the law, I was not sure that I really could answer the question. But my hope is that, in those circumstances, I would be willing to act against the dictates of government, to peacefully advance the cause of Christ and to protect the dignity of all of the people of the earth – regardless of their personal belief or lifestyle. But how could I be sure having never experienced that necessity.

The Jews are being threatened with extinction. And Mordecai begs Esther to go to the king and reveal the plot against the Jews. While earlier she had been encouraged to hide her heritage, it would seem that now was the time that her heritage needed to be revealed. But the problem was that entering into the presence of the king without being summoned was against the law – and the punishment for such an act was death. Yet, in spite of the stiff penalty, Esther decides that she will break the law in an attempt to save her people. And for this reason the story of Esther has always been of importance to the Jews, and is commemorated by the celebration of Purim (late winter – early spring) each year.

But one of the surprising characteristics of this passage is that even here we find no mention of God. Esther asks Mordecai and the Jews to fast and promises that she will fast, but there is no mention of prayer. The obvious interpretation is that Esther is asking for a miracle from God – but neither the miracle nor the giver of the miracle is explicitly mentioned. Instead, it is simply left to the imagination of the reader. It is assumed that we know that the giver of the miracle could be no one other than Yahweh, the God of the Jews. And since the Hebrew people are the primary target of the story, that assumption is probably an easy one to make.      

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Esther 5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment