Tuesday 30 April 2013

I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine; he browses among the lilies. – Song of Songs 6:3


Today’s Scripture Reading (April 30, 2013): Song of Songs 6

Ownership is tough. There is a very real level where we really own nothing – at most we rent, but sometimes even that is a stretch. In 1984 I bought my first new car. I had had cars before, but they were never new, someone had always owned them before me. My wife and I were really just getting started in our life together, and we scrimped and saved so that we could by the car – a tan 1984 Toyota Tercel. It was great. That car got us through a lot of tough times. But I do not still have that car. It passed on to other hands a number of years ago. In fact, there have been a number of cars that have passed through my hands since the Tercel – although the Toyota Tercel remains the only car that we have ever purchased new off of the lot. The vehicles were mine, but only for a time.

I own my house – well, me and the bank. But there is this knowledge that it is mine under certain conditions. As long as I make the mortgage payments and pay the taxes it is mine. But in the back of my mind I am also reminded of all the people in the history of our world who have lost their homes because they fell out of favor with reigning political power. What they thought was theirs they found out was really was not theirs. It was theirs only under certain conditions. And when the conditions were not met, what they thought was theirs was passed on to somebody else.

And when it comes to the ownership of people - that we really frown on. We have had our fill of slavery with all of its evil. We argue that people cannot be owned. That extends from the marginalized in our society to those that are closest to us – no one can be owned. And it has become fashionable to recognize our individuality even inside of the marriage relationship. I have spoken with couples about the fact that I disagree with the idea that “we are made for each other.” I rebel against the idea that anyone can “be completed” by another person. The most healthy marriage relationships that I know of are the ones between two people that were completed in themselves long before they ever met the other person and began discussing the possibility of marriage.

But ... there is also a level of ownership inside the marriage relationship. The Song of Songs says it this way – “I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine.” The idea is that I am owned by my wife and I own her. It is not a financial ownership, but because I love her I want to do the things that make her happy. The level of love between a couple can sometimes be summed up by all of activities that we get involved in that we would never initiate on our own. The only reason why we watch that movie, or go shopping at that store (or for some of us – any store) is because we are owned. The most enduring relationships are the ones where we are willing to sacrifice for each other – we are owned – and because of love, we would have it no other way.     

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Song of Songs 7

No comments:

Post a Comment