Sunday 16 December 2012

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. – Psalm 34:8


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 16, 2012): Psalm 34

I love crime shows – and I have watched crime investigation shows from the days of watching Quincy, M. E. in the late seventies and early eighties through to currently watching the CSI’s and the NCIS’s. But, even though I do like to watch them, I like them from a distance (as in on my television.) The problem is that I also know the reality that these occupations have to deal with – and that reality is often not very pleasant. As graphic as the shows try to be, reality is much worse – and I know that.

As a teen I worked for a short time with a veterinarian. At the time we lived in a small ranching community and so I had the opportunity to go out with the vet when he was called out to the different ranches around the town. And some of the things that I had to deal with rivaled some of things that I am sure crime investigators have to deal with. And sometimes, with the really bad ones, the places smelled so much that I felt like I could taste it. Okay, I know that that is really not possible, but I still felt that way.

It works the other way too. I have passed restaurants and the smell that was coming from the kitchen was so good that I felt once again that I could taste it. It is a strange phenomenon – but a very real one.

David is on the run. He is hiding with priests and he is pretending that he is insane. His reality is that he no longer knows who to trust. And his only refuge is in God. But he does not need a God that is seen far off, or one that we might see on our television screens. The God that he needs is the one that is so close that he can taste him.

There are many things that we can know. We can see and hear even at a distance, but tasting is different. Tasting requires a closeness and an intimacy – tasting can never be done from a distance. One of the phrases that we sometimes like to use to describe God is that “he is closer than our next breath.” That is a God that we can taste.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 56

No comments:

Post a Comment