Monday 10 December 2012

David asked the men standing near him, “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?” – 1 Samuel 17:26


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 10, 2012): 1 Samuel 17

Sometimes I wish for the simplicity of being a child. When I was a child there were a number of things that I did not have to struggle through. As a child I ‘knew’ that God existed. He had to exist because every trusted person in my life told me that he existed. I ‘knew’ that God had created the earth and that he was intimately involved with all of his creation. There was no question about God’s power or about the existence of heaven – I was not sure that I wanted to go to heaven, the grownups really needed to work on making heaven sound a little more exciting to my young ears, but I did not doubt that it existed. The doubts came later, but at that time I had what experts would now call a reflected faith – I reflected the faith that I had experienced around me.

I think that is where David found himself. He was the little brother; too young to go to war with his brothers, but he reflected the faith that was around him. The result of that faith was that he believed that the God of Israel was bigger than the Philistine giant who was taunting the army of Israel. It was a faith born out of a childlike innocence – a faith that the older brothers and the members of the army had lost somewhere along the way.

But the faith that we hold as adults has grown up. The faith we have as adults is important – it is developed over years of experiences and trials. The faith of the adult is actually stronger than the faith of the child. It has been wrestled with over time and it has transformed into something very special. But there are still times when we need to be able to take God at his word and come to him with the faith of a child, believing that God is still bigger than the evil giants that inhabit our lives – no matter where it is that those giants are found.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 18

No comments:

Post a Comment