Wednesday 17 October 2012

When Joshua was old and well advanced in years, the LORD said to him, “You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over. – Joshua 13:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (October 17, 2012): Joshua 13

I signed up for Life Insurance Product called Freedom 55 when I was in my twenties. It was back in the day when I was naive enough to believe what the salesman wanted to sell me. It was not necessarily that the product was bad, except that I guess it was. Later, I came to understand that combining life insurance and investments into a single product was only to make both less effective. And as much as I sometimes come to the end of the day and I want to quit, I also realize that that is probably one of the unhealthiest things for me to do. Freedom 55 sounds like a good thing to try to achieve, but we cannot exist – we cannot live - without a purpose.  

And so maybe I should not be amazed at the number of seniors that somehow feel that they have done their time. I watch them move away from both commitment and purpose. It seems that we have been trained by our culture to prepare for rest in our later years. I wish that they could see that the only thing they are really preparing for is death - and that a life outside of purpose is not a biblical idea.

Joshua’s life had been long. And that meant that the days that he had left had grown short. So God reminds him that this life has an expiry date and that there is still a lot that needed to be done. There is nothing that focuses our attention better than the realization that the days that we have left to accomplish God’s goals are growing short.

As long as we breathe, we have a purpose that we need to accomplish. The real rest comes in the life that follows this one. But if we are here, it is for a reason. Go and accomplish that reason.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Joshua 14

No comments:

Post a Comment