Thursday 18 October 2012

The Levites received no share of the land but only towns to live in, with pasturelands for their flocks and herds. – Joshua 14:4b


Today’s Scripture Reading (October 18, 2012): Joshua 14

It was a Facebook entry (by a Canadian). “To all my American friends: I am not voting in your election so please do not try to convince which side is right. I am committed to praying for both sides of the election and if that is not good enough for you, then please defriend me. I will not be offended." And there the entry ended. Now, those that know me are still in shock that I saw a Facebook entry (because Facebook is a tool of Satan, but sometimes I go as a missionary into the Kingdom of Facebook. The appropriate response to that last statement is laughter – just so you know.) There was one response to the entry and it was about how my Facebook friend was devaluing friendship. But my friend had a point.

I am not sure that as Christian’s we should not be apolitical. I think we should be very involved in the issues around the political discussion, but I am not convinced that any of our political parties have an inside track to the issues that we find important. So, we are in the discussion of the issues, openly listening and then making up our minds how it is that we feel God would have us vote. But let me stress that, on this point, I think it might be the way that we should move forward - but I am not sure.

But I am sure that as a Pastor, this is the path that I have to follow. I am apolitical. I have my opinions, and one on one I am more than willing to engage in that discussion. But as a pastor, I do not care which way that you vote. I do care that you vote. And the basis of what I believe can actually be traced back to the priests in Israel. The priests had no area in Canaan that was theirs – every other son of Jacob had a plot of land to call their own, and Joseph had two. But the sons of Levi, who became the priests for the nation, had no area of land that was their own. Instead, they were sprinkled among the tribes. No tribe was without Levi – the priests – living in their midst. I am convinced that our world should be the same way.

I want you to vote – where ever it is that you live in the world. When there is an election, examine the issues, pray over your decision and then go and vote. The last local election that was held in the city that I live, I listened and prayed, and to be honest I was standing in front of the ballot with all of this stuff running through my head and I did not know which way I should vote until the very last moment. And when I voted, I think I went against the party that a lot of my Christian friends were convinced was in ‘the right.’ But I was finally settled that it was the right way for me to vote.

Vote, and when your vote has been cast, please pray for your political leaders. Pray even harder that God will do something miraculous in the lives of the politicians – maybe especially the ones that you did not vote for.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Joshua 15

No comments:

Post a Comment