Sunday 27 May 2012

Pharaoh said, “I will let you go to offer sacrifices to the LORD your God in the desert, but you must not go very far. Now pray for me.” – Exodus 8:28


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 27, 2012): Exodus 8

Be careful what you wish for. I think it is one of the common mistakes that we make. I remember applying for a job a number of years ago and a variant of that saying was spoken to me by a friend. I was deep in want for the position, but being in deep want I was also not being very objective. I saw all of the good things that the position would bring, but had minimized the bad. All I knew was that my life would totally change if only I could get the job.

Whenever I do premarital counselling, it is the one thing that I am on the lookout for. I hate it when couple’s say that they were “made for each other.” I rail against the idea that someone has found the match that God had created for them since the beginning of time. It is a romantic idea, but I also know the other end of the story – the one that starts with the pressures of life, and diapers and bottles and nights with no sleep. It is into that moment that people often discover that maybe the one they were so head over heels in love with was not the one that was created for them – and armed with their new found realization they begin to look for the one that they were created for someone else. The bottom line is that at some point I wanted the job, or the marriage, but I had an idealistic idea of what that would be like. I needed to be careful what I wished for.

Pharaoh is starting to show some of the same tendencies. At the beginning of the story of Moses, all the King wanted to do was rid himself of a people that was growing strong within his borders. He was asking the same question that I hear asked in our culture – if a war breaks out, who will Israel (or for us it has been the Japanese or the Islamic populations within our borders) fight for. Pharaoh was not sure of the answer, so he decided to take steps to get rid of the people in question. But eighty years later a different king had begun to think very differently. He no longer wants Israel to leave – now he fears a day when Israel will no longer provide for him the cheap labor his projects demand. What his father wished for, the son was worried that the dream just might come true.

Real life situations very seldom come with absolute good or total evil. Usually it is a mixture of the two, and when we get idealistic about a situation we are setting ourselves up for failure. Life doesn’t work that way, and even the good things in life need us to be willing to persevere through the dark times. And often the bad situations of life come with an incredible good, if we will only look for it.
    
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Exodus 9

No comments:

Post a Comment