Friday 25 May 2012

God also said to Moses, “I am the LORD. – Exodus 6:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 25, 2012): Exodus 6

I have a good friend who is relationally challenged. He is a great person and I love to be in his circle of influence, but at times he is a totally destructive influence on his own goals and dreams. If you had a chance to talk to him, you might hear him talk about the negative influence that people have had on his life – and he is right. But what my friend doesn’t realize is that often he is the negative influence. People have a negative influence on him only because they reflect back to him the effect that he is having on them.

I was recently challenged with a self examination exercise. The challenge came in the form of a question that I was supposed to ask those in my circle of influence. The question was “what is it like to be on the other side of me?” You see, one of the constants in everything that I do is me – I am there. And the reality is that because I am there I change the situation I am in. The question that I – and my friend – need to be able to answer is “am I changing this situation for the positive or the negative?” Every situation I walk into is really a neutral situation awaiting my input – and I will be the force that will change the situation either for the positive or the negative. So ... what is it like to be on the other side of me?

As God talks with Moses, he needs to remind Moses of who he is. Moses, I am the Lord. The word used here is significant. It was Yĕhovah or Jehovah. And what is significant is that it would have brought Moses thought process back to something that God had already told him. Yĕhovah rhymed with hayah hayah – I Am that I Am. I Am with you. And Moses, that changes everything.  I am bringing all that I am and investing it into your situation.

And this is the truth that we live with everyday. When we work in harmony with the direction and needs of God, he brings all that he is into our situation. On the other hand, when we go against the direction and needs of God, God sets his face against us – and that is not a place where we want to be.

So God’s message to Moses is – get to know me.  I Am that I Am. I exist and I am with you. And in everything that I am telling you I will bring my presence into that situation. And Moses, if you maintain a relationship with me, then you will know where it is that I am going and where my presence is going to be.

This is why we need to people of the Bible, people who continually seek after God and want to be where he is. It is why we need to live a disciplined life. It is why love is so critical, because it reflects the essential character of God. He is the Lord – and he will be with us.
 
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Exodus 7

No comments:

Post a Comment