Monday 8 April 2024

If it seems advisable for me to go also, they will accompany me. – 1 Corinthians 16:4

Today's Scripture Reading (April 8, 2024): 1 Corinthians 16

A few years ago, I attended a seminar regarding finances for non-profits. One comment from the facilitator was that churches have often set themselves apart from other non-profits because the CEO of the church, the Pastor, frequently has no idea who financially supports the church. This ignorance is because many churches prohibit the Pastor from knowing who is giving to the church, even though the Pastor is expected to do some fundraising from the pulpit. The seminar facilitator remarked that if someone makes a significant contribution to the charity, like giving a tithe, and especially if the donation was from a first-time giver, often the CEO or some other executive would immediately send out a letter of thanks to the new donor. But that doesn't happen in the church, mainly because the Pastor and executive staff don't know about the gift.

Of course, there is a good reason for the pastoral blind spot. The belief is that a pastor might be more willing to minister to those giving significant amounts of money than those not supporting the church financially, even if that is a subconscious decision. After the seminar, I actually asked the church board to change the policy on what I could see, but I never did use my new found power. Today, I no longer can see who is giving what, and I think I am much happier in my ignorance. However, I am incredibly thankful for everyone who gives to the ministry, whoever they are, and I hope they know of my gratitude and the importance of their gifts.

Paul has been trying to raise some money to give to the church in Jerusalem to help the church assist the community during a famine. A lot of gratitude needed to be given to Paul, not because he was personally giving the money, but because he was using his influence to raise the funds for the Jerusalem Church.

But Paul recognizes that it is not his ego that is important; Jerusalem needs the money, or people there will die. As a result, Paul places his own role in gathering the gift at the bottom of his priority list. Corinth is to take an offering for Jerusalem and then choose whoever the church wants and trusts to take the offering to Jerusalem. If that includes Paul, the apostle is willing to go. But if Corinth would prefer Paul to stay out of it, then Paul is willing to be left out of the process. All that matters is that the offering gets to Jerusalem.

It is an excellent lesson in humility for all who give and don't always get credit for their generosity. Thank you for all you give, and know you are valued, even if people like me don't know who you are.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Galatians 1

No comments:

Post a Comment