Tuesday 2 April 2024

But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. – 1 Corinthians 10:13c

Today's Scripture Reading (April 2, 2024): 1 Corinthians 10

Sometimes, I think I should write a book about what the Bible doesn't say. One of the persistent biblical myths is that the Bible says, "God will never give us more than we handle." I have heard friends tell me that they wish God didn't think they were so strong. But the problem is that God never promised that. He promised to provide a way out when you are tempted to do something he has instructed you not to do. Sometimes, God does give us more than we can handle. And maybe the temptation in those moments is to try to fight the battle ourselves instead of recognizing that God is willing to fight the battle for us.

King Jehoshaphat reigned over Judah in the ninth century B.C.E. One day, his advisors told him a vast army was coming from the other side of the sea. And they are coming to attack you.

Jehosophat turned to his advisor and asked, "So, how far away are they." And the answer came back, "Well, it is funny you should ask; they are already here; in fact, they are in our backyard." The Bible says that Jehosophat was alarmed. I could add something more graphic, but I will leave that to your imagination.

Jehosaphat was alarmed and declared a fast. The army was already in the backyard, so it must have been a quick fast. Maybe it was, "Put down your fork; we are skipping dessert." Jehosaphat, the king, the most powerful person in Israel, comes to God and says, "I don't have the power. I can't do this."

God turns to Jehosophat, asking, "Are you willing to depend on me? This battle isn't yours; it is mine. Don't fall into the temptation of thinking all this is on your shoulders because it isn't."

And I think that Jehosophat probably responded by saying, "God, you do not understand this. They are too big, and this is happening too fast; we don't have the power; I don't have the power. This is crushing me." But God's question didn't change: are you willing to surrender it to me?

I don't have the power, but God does. Some of you are standing right there with me. God, I can't handle this. I can't handle my marriage. I can't handle my kids. I can't handle what the Doctor told me. It is too big, it's happening too fast, I don't have the power.

But God's question remains, "Are you willing to surrender it to me."

"God will not put more on you than you can handle" is a myth. The reality is that God promises that he will never put more on you than He can handle. But if your own problems handcuff you, you aren't dangerous to our culture; you are a slave to it. And God never intended you to be that.

What do you need to surrender?

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 11

No comments:

Post a Comment