Wednesday 3 April 2024

Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment. And when I come I will give further directions. – 1 Corinthians 11:31

Today's Scripture Reading (April 3, 2024): 1 Corinthians 11

Once in a while, although not too often, I love "all you can eat" events. That is especially true of ribs, so whenever someone offers "all-you-can-eat ribs," it grabs my attention. And often, I prepare for these events by not eating much the day I plan to have my rib feast' (Yes, I know that is not a healthy way to live, so, like I said, I rarely do this.) And then I hope that the restaurant doesn't run out of ribs.

Church food events tend to be people pleasers. Offer food, and people seem to come. And so, many churches seem to try to plan at least some food events. A few have even made food a staple of the worship service, and they eat every time they meet. My advice and caution for food events in my church is that it is much better to have too much food than not enough.

However, as unbelievable as this might seem, it is not an "all you can eat" food event that draws Paul's attention here; it is communion. I can't imagine being hungry enough at church to grab a handful of communion wafers, but that happened in Corinth. However, there was also an economic element to this problem. Not only were some pigging out at the communion table, but the reality was that those who were wealthy could get to these meetings earlier than the enslaved people or the working poor. Those with resources usually arrived first, while people experiencing poverty had to wait until much later when they were finally released from their workday duties by their employers or masters.

So, Paul offers his instructions. First, don't celebrate the Lord's Supper until everyone has arrived. There should be no economic divisions in the church. The rich should wait for those who are economically disadvantaged so that the meal can be enjoyed together.

But the second part of the instructions was simply this: The Lord's Supper is not an all-you-can-eat buffet, so don't prepare for it as if it was. If you are hungry, eat at home. And while Paul spoke of communion, the contemporary church would do well to extend the advice to all food events. It is part of the church's expectation of hospitality. Remember the visitor and the stranger among you, and ensure they have enough before you eat your fill.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 12

No comments:

Post a Comment