Sunday 26 February 2023

Israel cries out to me, 'Our God, we acknowledge you!' – Hosea 8:2

Today's Scripture Reading (February 26, 2023): Hosea 8

Just prior to the death of Pope Benedict XVI on New Year's Eve, 2022, I had a conversation with a friend about two Popes who were both apparently wearing the traditional "fisherman's ring." The "fisherman's ring" is a nod to the tradition that says the Bishop of Rome, who we recognize as "the Pope," holds the same office that the Apostle Peter held near the end of his life. The ring, worn by the Pope, is destroyed at the time of his death. Normally, there is only one Pope and one "fisherman's ring." but with Benedict's unusual decision to step down from the papacy before the end of his life, my friend was concerned that there might be two fisherman's rings in existence.

I was never quite sure why this caused concern, but I am not a Catholic. I have a healthy respect for most recent popes, but they are not my leaders. Still, it seemed to be a discussion my friend needed to have. The reality of the situation is that all bishops wear rings that symbolize their office, but the Pope's ring is just a little more special. And if you ever get close enough to greet a pope, kissing the ring is a special sign of respect. As a Protestant Christian, I have often wondered what I might do if I was ever close enough to a Pope to have a personal greeting. Would I kiss the ring, even though I am not a Catholic? Apparently, Pope Francis is more comfortable with sharing an embrace instead of having people slobbering over his ring, which is more my style. Or maybe a slight bow, recognizing the respect that I hold for Francis, even if that respect is far from the unwavering obedience of one who is a disciple of the Roman Catholic Church.

Maybe the reality is that followers can "kiss the ring" without truly meaning what is inferred from the action. And that is true of others as well as the Pope. The idea of "kissing the ring" symbolizes a subservient attitude to any leader. As a result,  news agencies report about those who head to Mar-a-Lago to figuratively "kiss the ring" of the former president, Donald Trump. Being the sometimes pessimist I am, I wonder how many people who "kiss the ring" really mean the subservience illustrated by the action. For the Pope, I think there is a higher percentage of true believers than there might be for someone like former President Trump.

Hosea hears the cries of the people of Israel proclaiming their allegiance to God. They cry out to God, "we acknowledge you." They have "kissed the ring." But the real question is not whether the people have acknowledged the sovereignty of God but whether they really meant what their words have stated. Hosea argues that the people came to the Temple to figuratively "kiss the ring," but they weren't being sincere. And God knows the difference between those who sincerely want to follow him and those who simply go through the motions of acknowledging God without ever intending to follow him. Even Jesus would recognize this truth as he taught his disciples that "many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers' (Matthew 7:22-23). Regarding our relationship with God, gathering around his house or coming to "kiss the ring" is never enough, and if we are not sincere, it is always a wasted action.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Hosea 9

No comments:

Post a Comment