Friday 3 February 2023

In those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem. – Joel 3:1

Today's Scripture Reading (February 3, 2023): Joel 3

I have to admit that I love Curt Cloninger's mosaic monologue, "Witnesses." I love the way that Cloninger imagines the lives of the people who were around Jesus at the time. And one of my favorites is "The Man Who Used to Be." In his monologue, this character explains who he and others used to be.

Ha! As a matter of fact, just about everybody who shows up at this party was a used to be, you know what I'm sayin'? We got Simon, he shows up, he used to be a leper. We got this other guy, he used to a crippled dude. Oh, we got this other guy, man, boy he used to be blind as a bat. This other dude…I mean, this other guy, he shows up; this guy used to be totally wacko crazy, you know what I'm sayin'? Like, keep him away from the dip. And, uh, who else we got? And then we got Mary; she used to be a hooker. And then we got Lazarus; he used to be dead as a doornail. Whoa, stinkin' dead, man. Lazarus, his two old maid sisters, what's their names, Martha and the other one. They're real drags, them two, I tell you. Oh, we let them come cause they make great pasta. And, um, who else we got? Then we got this other dude; he came; he used to be this uptight religious dude, he was different. And then we got Jesus, then we got his twelve buddies, and then we got me right. I used to not be able to talk, (chuckle). As you can tell, I can do it now.

I can't even read the passage without hearing the inflection that Cloninger puts into the character. But on a very basic level, I can understand "The Man Who Used to Be." And he is right; we all used to be something. And now we are something different, all because God has done something in us.

Maybe, for some of us, God's work is so long ago that the people around us don't even remember who we used to be. But then something hits us, and who we used to be comes rushing back. My wife and I went to the theatre a few years ago to see the Elton John biopic "Rocketman." And for me, it was the party scene as Elton walked through the party singing "Tiny Dancer," not really finding a place where he fits in that hit me. I still get melancholy every time I watch the scene. It is part of my "used to be." I remember the feeling of not fitting in wherever I seemed to go. No matter where I went and how many people wanted me there, I still felt that I didn't quite fit in. It was something that I had to turn over to God, and if I am honest, it continues to be a place where God continues to work with me.

Joel talks about "those days." It is an extension of the "And afterward" in Joel 2:28. He speaks about the "end times." Unfortunately, the phrase "end times" confuses us. We think of the end times as that period that precedes the glorious second coming of Jesus. But the reality is we have been living in the end times ever since Jesus's birth in a manger. It was a time of restoration for all who used to be. And it is part of our essential identity. We are the people who believe in restoring people, regardless of who they are or what they have done. God knows who we used to be, and because of his work, we no longer have to be that person.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Kings 13

No comments:

Post a Comment