Saturday 18 February 2023

From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God. – Jonah 2:1

Today's Scripture Reading (February 18, 2023): Jonah 1 & 2

I have to admit that I have a love/hate relationship with the story of Jonah. I love it because it is filled with truth that I can understand. After all, I have been there. Okay, I have never been swallowed by a huge fish, but I have found myself in places I should never have been because I disobeyed God. I have refused God from going to my Nineveh. I have resisted the move of God and tried to set the agenda in my relationship rather than letting God guide me in the way he wants to take me.

For me, it started early. The first time I told God that I would never be a pastor, I was about fourteen and angry with a pastor speaking at a youth camp. If this guy was an example of the pastorate, then pastors were idiots, and I had no intention of being an idiot. So, God, ask someone else. I don't want to go. And so, God seemed to take me on a journey. I went from I won't be a pastor to I am willing to serve as a youth pastor, but that is as far as I am prepared to go. After serving as a youth pastor for many years, God called me to be the pastor of a church. I said okay, but I am not into church planting and don't want to go there. And then I planted a church. I have joked that now I am telling God that I absolutely will not pastor a church in Hawaii.

My hate of the Jonah story is really the big fish. And it is not that I don't believe that the fish is possible. God could do whatever he wanted, and if that meant creating a fish that could swallow Jonah, well, he created all the ones that couldn't consume him, so making one that could swallow Jonah doesn't seem to be that hard a task. My discomfort with the big fish story is that the fish becomes the story's focus when that really isn't the main message of the tale. Whenever we bring up the story of Jonah, the first thing we think of is the whale or big fish, and not this incredibly childish prophet who wanted to get everything his own way. I understand when my four-year-old grandson throws a tantrum because he isn't getting his way, but I am a little more critical if it is an adult throwing a tantrum, even if that adult is me. After the story of the big fish, the prophet eventually goes to Nineveh to preach God's message, and God saves the city. But then, Jonah pouts that God's eventual salvation of the city was precisely why he didn't want to come to Nineveh in the first place; he knew that God would save the Ninevites. And in the process, Jonah becomes a prophet with all my failures.

But, part of the story is that Jonah was swallowed by the whale, and in his fear, the prophet turns to God. But there is no upside to this prayer. Yes, God saved him, and Jonah went and preached in Nineveh, saving the city for at least a short time. But the problem is that nothing changed inside Jonah. He was the same selfish child after the whale that he was before. And that, too, sounds a lot like me.

We often seem to forget that the purpose of prayer is not to change God but rather to change us. And that change seems possible in the grip of a disaster, like being swallowed by a whale. But often, like Jonah, when the whale disappears, we go back to the same behavior we struggled through before the disaster. There is no change. The problem is that if we want to change, we need to be willing to start the transition before we find ourselves in the belly of the whale. That is a change that will last, and when the whale comes, we can just continue the journey until we get to the other side.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Jonah 3 & 4

No comments:

Post a Comment