Tuesday 21 February 2023

In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, the birds in the sky and the creatures that move along the ground. Bow and sword and battle I will abolish from the land, so that all may lie down in safety. – Hosea 2:18

Today's Scripture Reading (February 21, 2023): Hosea 2 & 3

I have admitted that I have lived in relative peace and security. I have never experienced living in a war zone. What I know about life with a battle raging around you has been reserved for the news I receive from my television screen. But it is something that I have thought about during times of conflict in my life. And I wonder what it was like to be a civilian during the Vietnam War. Or to be a child living in Iraq during the days of Saddam Hussein? What is it like living in Ukraine with Russia knocking on your door, trying to take your home away from you? It is beyond my experience; what I know is what my T.V. tells me.

I have never had to live in a war zone, but I know what it is like to live in a world where some people don't like me. And although there are no threats to my physical well-being, it is hard to live knowing that some people don't like you because they disagree with you on some subject. I know what it is like to have people telling lies and spreading untrue rumors. It is a different kind of violence, but it is still violence.

And I dream of a day when the violence will end. It is a day that Isaiah had seen.

He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore (Isaiah 2:4).

Someday, the Bible talks about an era of peace. It is a peace we can't understand in our violence-torn world. It will be a day when we will sincerely want the best for others, even the ones with whom we might have a significant disagreement. It will be a world where children can go to bed and not worry about the bombs that might fall on their house during the night, nor about the intruder who might break in to take what is not theirs.

It will be a day when the earth will be changed fundamentally. From a natural science position, there will be a change among the animals. God will make a covenant with the natural world. It will be a day when "the wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them" (Isaiah 11:6). A time when the human race will no longer wish to make war anymore, And our children will all be able to live with peace and security; a time when we will all be able to lie down in safety.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Hosea 4

No comments:

Post a Comment