Saturday 6 February 2016

Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me. - Psalm 142:6

Today's Scripture Reading (February 6, 2016): Psalm 142
We want to be strong. It is apparent in the political campaigns that surround us. Just listen to the slogans. Donald Trump promises to “Make America Great Again.” For Ted Cruz it is “Courageous Conservatives – Reigniting the Promise of America.” Hillary Clinton's slogan is “Hillary for America – because Hillary Clinton wants to be the champion for everyday Americans” (emphasis on the word champion.) But I have to admit that the politician whose slogan resonates with me is that of Bernie Sanders. Now, Bernie was supposed to have been a disaster from the very beginning, but a quick look at his website reveals a different outlook. On the front page there really is no real slogan – just the word “Bernie” and then the words “We need your help.” The impression that is left with the reader is that if there is anything good that is going to come out of this election, it will be because of a voter movement – one in support of Bernie. And while this is Bernie's campaign angle, the reality of the words “we need your help” applies to everyone in the race – whether they want to admit it or not.
To be honest, I understand the need for strength in a campaign – or in the application of any job process. We want to look like we are the ones who have it under control. Give me the job because I know that I can be a success, if you will just let me try. Make me the football coach and the team will win more games, make me the manager and I will allow the organization to succeed in a murky economic environment. Make me the accountant because I know how to add. Whatever it is, I am qualified for the job.
But the drawback is that we aren't often the only ones needed to make the job a success. It has been one of the complaints that has been leveled at the Trump Campaign. His idea seems to be “vote for me and I will make America Great again” instead of something like “vote for me, and together we will be the strength that will make America Great Again.” The latter is actually the reality. One man or one team is not going to change the direction of a nation. It is going to take everyone. I remember sitting at the back of a room a number of years ago after an especially tough meeting. Two sides were fighting over something trivial and neither was willing to move. After the meeting, an older gentleman sat down and asked me what I was going to do. My answer, admittedly, was not a strong one. I just looked at him and said “I don't know.” What I meant was that there was little that I could do as a leader until the two sides decided to see value in each other. I could support one side or the other, or I could force some kind of compromise that would make the organization stronger, but the problem was that such a response would make a lot of people really unhappy. In reality the future would still remain in their hands. They had to make it happen. The man looked at me with the words “Fix this, that is what we pay you for.” The problem is that money or paying someone will seldom fix anything.
David is hiding in a cave. It is almost a funny picture from a historical perspective. The king who would be remembered as the great conqueror, the very one who would be responsible for expanding the borders of Israel to their farthest reaches, the victor in the fight against the giant Goliath, is hiding in a cave frightened by his own shadow. And this man, who would be remembered as the greatest king that Israel ever knew, was admitting that he was not strong enough for the job. I am not sure that he could have won a modern day election with the campaign slogan “I am desperate and weak and my enemy is too strong for me,” even if that is the reality that most politicians feel at some point in their own personal campaigns.
But David's admission of weakness was the invitation that God needed to make a difference in the situation. And no, it is not that we must be weak in order for God to intervene, but we must be honest. David looked at the situation and realized that this was his reality. He needed help – and the only one who could truly help him was the same one that helped him in the pasture when he confronted by the predators threatening the flock. He needed help from his God.
Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 23

No comments:

Post a Comment