Sunday 7 February 2016

“Don’t be afraid,” he said. “My father Saul will not lay a hand on you. You will be king over Israel, and I will be second to you. Even my father Saul knows this.” - 1 Samuel 23:17

Today's Scripture Reading (February 7, 2016): 1 Samuel 23
Albert Einstein is quoted as saying “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” Einstein's position is almost the opposite of what most of us might actually put into practice in our lives. As I look around me, more often than not I see people who live their lives like they are trying to forget yesterday, endure today, and see tomorrow as simply a problem that has not yet arrived. And, on top of all of this, too often we act as if we know – everything. Our lives shout out “don't try to give me any advice. I have got this covered. What makes you think that you know more about this than I do.” I remember as a kid driving in a car with my friend and his mother when the car began to make some strange noises. My friend, a car guy, immediately started to try to diagnose the situation. And then I made the mistake of trying to throw in my suggestion at the possible cause of the problem. My friend immediately discounted my suggestion with a quick “what would you know?” And he was right. I was never much of a mechanical prodigy. But I had recently been traveling in another vehicle which had developed similar symptoms and my suggestion (which was actually my father's diagnosis, after all, he was the owner of the car) turned out to be the right answer. I stammered out the defense of my suggestions before my friend sheepishly had to admit that my Dad knew more about cars than anyone else currently riding in his mom's vehicle.
Jonathan would seem to agree with Einstein, or at least his response to David seems to hit all of Einstein's talking points. But Jonathan simply wants to make sure that David is encouraged, in spite of the bleak situation that David was currently enduring as he continued to run from Jonathan's father, Saul. So the first thing that Jonathan tells David is that Saul was not going to lay a hand on him. Basically, it is assurance in the present in that David would not be found by Saul. David could live for today because Jonathan believed that his dad was not even close to learning where David was hiding.
Secondly, Jonathan assures David that he will king over Israel matching with Einstein's hope for the future. The reality is that we all need hope in order to live. While many of us are pessimistic about tomorrow, hope for tomorrow is a requirement for life. If David gave up on hope, then he would die, but not because of Saul. David's death would join the vast list of those who have died for no other reason than they couldn't figure out what there was in tomorrow that was worth the price of paying by living through today.
Next, Jonathan assures David that when he becomes king, Jonathan would be standing at his side. This is an amazing statement because at this moment, Jonathan is the heir apparent to the throne. Jonathan is making a promise to David that when the time comes, he is willing to lay down his crown to support David. And David could trust that this is true because of the historic friendship that the pair had shared. He could be sure of what Jonathan would do in the future because he knew what Jonathan had done in the past.
But maybe what is the most amazing is that Jonathan seemed to have no trouble finding David even when his dad could not. Maybe, and this is just a guess, that was because Jonathan not only continued to ask questions, but because he knew which questions needed to be asked. The result is that Jonathan could offer hope and encouragement to David exactly when he needed it.
Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 54

No comments:

Post a Comment