Friday 5 February 2016

Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed. - Psalm 57:1

Today's Scripture Reading (February 5, 2016): Psalm 57
The current refugee crisis would seem to be an especially tough one for Christians, and maybe especially for those of us on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean. The reality is that Christianity has had a long history of offering sanctuary to those in need of it. And for those of us on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean, the story of sanctuary and refuge is often a story that is ingrained into our own personal histories, because our ancestors came here to find that kind of refuge. And it doesn't seem to matter when our ancestors came. If you can trace your history back to its origins in North America, it is very likely that you will find a story that at least partially revolves around the idea of sanctuary and refuge.
As I write these words, there is a worship band practicing just outside my office door. I can hear the music, but I can't understand the words because the band is made up completely of refugees. They speak a language that, even though it is a popular Central African Language, I didn't even know existed until I made friends with them. In the cold of a Northern American winter, I often tease them that I would rather be where they are from. They tell me that back home the temperature ranges from the high seventies into the mid eighties (or in Celsius terms the low to mid 20's) year round. Of course, on a cold day it rains. But the reality of my weather is that it can be much hotter in the summer and a lot colder in the winter (my rain is currently white and it is piling up on the ground.) I could handle the weather very easily where they come from, but then again, it wasn't the weather that they were taking refuge from – it was death and pain as a result of war, the kind of war that I have never had to experience. And so they find their refuge here with me in the snow.
My ancestors also ran from war, most landing in and around New York when the city was still called New Amsterdam. They were running from the pain caused by the Dutch War of Independence – and from other conflicts, or maybe it was from famine and starvation in Ireland, or religious persecution in Europe. But what binds almost all of my ancestors together with the ones that are singing outside my door is that they needed to find a place of refuge – someplace safe where they could go and make a life.
David needed refuge from King Saul. It was plain by this time that Saul had every intention of killing the shepherd turned military leader. And if it was up to Saul, he would destroy every rock and person in Israel until David was found. What David needed was sanctuary – a place of refuge. The literal place of refuge for David was inside a cave. But he knew that even in the cave he was not really safe. And so in his prayers he placed himself into the hands of his God – because the only secure place of refuge was with him, and under his wings.
It was this understanding of safety in God that prompted the Christian Church to get into the refuge business. We decided that we would be the physical hands of God, welcoming the stranger into our midst and sharing our safety with them. I hope in the coming months we are willing to remember that as we welcome the stranger into our midst, because real safety only originates with the God that we serve – and because there was a time that we needed that refuge too.
Tomorrow Scripture Reading: Psalm 142

No comments:

Post a Comment